I suggest a campaign about ...

Block the US 'SOPA' bill as this affects not simply the US but all of the world due to the restrictions it places on the internet

The US parliment is trying to push through a bill which will limit internet piracy. While this seems like a worthwile thing in itself the way in which it is being proposed will mean that any and all sites in which people share information will be restricted in some way. The worst hit are actually the big sites such as Youtube or Facebook where the moderators will be legally required to block any information in which there could be piracy. This could include news stories copied off the BBC website or a homemade video of a gig which you went to see. While we are not part of the US we can still let their government know that what it does affects not just the US but also rest of the world.

66 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rowan ArkleyRowan Arkley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZackZack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

merge this with the other one I suggest, and also include campaigning about pipa

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The home made video of the gig you went to see is piracy. Its people like you that encourage the governments to introduce internet legislation. You are playing into their hands.

The only fair way is to have no censorship and no internet legislation allowed at all; Other than perhaps to ensure that all internet sites have a means by which to give parents some control of what their children see.

Although the only way to do that is supervise them.

If you don't care about your kids do us all a favour and don't have them.

Before you start whining about some pet issue of your own the makers and producers of material on the internet that would be illegal elsewhere would still illegal and the guilty parties can still be prosecuted. The media which they choose to circulate/spread these things is actually irrelevant. It's what they did that's wrong not how they did it.

Keep government's and the legal profession's hands off the internet before they take it away altogether.

• oggyboggyb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is desperately important, for the world just as much as for the USA.

• Darren GoodwinDarren Goodwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needs exposure. Let's hope Google and 'friends' can flex their considerable muscles quickly enough to trigger a re-think and/or amendments.

"Proponents of the bill say it protects the intellectual property market and corresponding industry, jobs and revenue, and is necessary to bolster enforcement of copyright laws especially against foreign websites.[5] Opponents say it infringes on First Amendment rights, is Internet censorship,[6] that it will cripple the Internet,[7] and will threaten whistle-blowing and other free speech.[8]
        The House Judiciary Committee held hearings on SOPA on November 16 and December 15, 2011. A vote is presently scheduled for Wednesday, December 21."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

Feedback and Knowledge Base