I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop English Heritage from closing the current visitor centre at Stone Henge

English Heritage want to close the existing visitor centre and replace it with one 1.5 miles (3k) away...lets stop this idiocy NOW!!

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cliff SawdyCliff Sawdy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam BlakeAdam Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it idiocy? Take a look at the planning documents, and you will see that the whole reason they are doing this is to move the road, car park and visitor centre away from the stones so that the henge is restored to a more 'natural' condition. This has been needed for decades but has never got off the ground until now.

You'll be able to get a lift to the site from the visitor centre - see the English Heritage website where you can even see a video of this in operation.

To King Arthur (below), I am sure there are some concerns about particular issues but would you really want 38degrees to stop this altogether? as that is what is proposed on this page.

• MegMeg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Simon. Too often these days we charge heedlessly ahead, making sure every single person on the planet who calls him or herself a 'tourist' has access to absolutely everything. I first visited Stonehenge in the days when one could walk quietly among the Stones; there wasn't a sound to be heard aside from a lark high above and the atmosphere was everything one hoped it would be. When I returned in the late 90s, I was revolted, ashamed and sad that what had been a relic of our most ancient English history had joined the Coliseum, the Pyramids and many other ancient sites which are now obliged, for the sake of filthy lucre, to tolerate the constant, frequently uninformed and mindless, wear and tear that goes with the hordes of modern tourists. The sooner we make ‘tourism’ a dirty word, the better. Let Stonehenge (and all the others) be for those who are willing to make an effort to experience it as used to be the case. Sorry about the disabled, people with babies, and the elderly (of which I am now one although I did my ‘travelling’ as opposed to ‘touring’ when I was able as should everyone) but we can’t all have everything, always and it’s long past the time when we should expect it. Cars and other kinds of noise have no business anywhere near Stonehenge.

• simonsimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

about time, maybe now it will start to be respected more as a significant piece of english history and present practise for thousands of pagans and druids, and stop being a money money money tourist attraction

• Cliff SawdyCliff Sawdy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some interesting...and some self gratifying comments so far...So, as I understand it..there is no objection to road closures..but the objections are to closing the Byeways to motor vehicles...Well folks...I think it is a question of priorities...I for one would love to see vehicular access remaining as it is on Highways and Byeways..but I fully understand English Heritage in their application to prohibit traffic to the said byeways...I had the misfortune to "park up" overnight quite recently up on The Ridgeway..I personally saw fires lit in the middle of the Byeway...amplified music blaring out at high volume..and an old caravan dumped on the verge....sorry folks...Byeways were never intended for this purpose...It would be interesting to hear English Heratige's side of this...is there a consultation process...if so..is it public? ....

• Catherine  McLarenCatherine McLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stand corrected but moving a visitor centre 1.5 miles from the 'attraction' would be just as hazardous and pointless. Therefore should not be done.

• Barbara TaylorBarbara Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous idea, can't see why they should do this, as well as which it would cost a lot of money for something which is which is a pointless exercise. Burocracy gone completely bonkers!

• King Arthur PendragonKing Arthur Pendragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well meaning but Ill thought out. What we wish for is common sense. Move the visitors centre, close the A345 and leave the By-ways as they are Open to All Traffic. Blessings from the Stonehenge Public Inquiry.....

• King Arthur PendragonKing Arthur Pendragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well meaning but Ill thought out. What we wish for is common sense. Move the visitors centre, close the A345 and leave the By-ways as they are Open to All Traffic. Blessings from the Stonehenge Public Inquiry.....

• Dave ChristopherDave Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is shocking&Disgusting that Pagans&Druids are kept from attending possibly the oldest Pagan Temple in th UK,but to exclude visitors for over a mile radius,&build obscene modern structures,in this ancient World Heritage Area,is despicable.This attempt to gain a financial monopoly,over those wishing to park a car,in order to visit(in th absence of public-transport to the temple) is purely for monitary gain.What church would charge its paritioners/congregation to attend,then force them to walk over a mile to the temple(calendar of Sun&Moon movements)???

• Andy Robertson-FoxAndy Robertson-Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Catherine McLaren, as Mons Meg has not been fired in centuries..the last time it was the barrel burst...I fail to see the connection with Stonehenge.

• DianeDiane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy it will stop people visiting and reduce access for those less mobile - or is this the reason behind it?

• Dennis WrightDennis Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

moving the visitor centre 3k away will make it difficult for the disabled, the infirm and those with young children to walk the extra distance. Especially as the plains are very exposed with wind and the rain that blows across.

• Simon WOODSimon WOOD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is disgusting. What is the reasoning behind it? Surely it will simply make it less attractive for people to go to and thus risk the chance of wanting to close it down or maybe thats the idea. Also what about the less able bodied visitors, how will they cope? Our heritage should be seen loud and proud and available to all with ease.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base