I suggest a campaign about ...

Free Naked Rambler Stephen Gough now- 10 yrs in prison for refusing to put clothes on is a travesty

A campaign to free this man who has been held in prison, in solitary confinement, almost continuously since 2006. The Police arrest for "Breach of Peace"- he is taken to Court and he states it is his right to be nude (there is no law that states you cannot be nude)- the Court say he is in contempt of Court and sentence him to maximum penalty. He is released, he comes out naked and the police wait outside to arrest him, he goes back to Court, who find him in contempt etc etc....This madness needs to be stopped. At £40,000 a year plus it is complete a waste of tax payers money. But most importantly there is no law that says he can't be nude.

1,384 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rachael KingRachael King shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

308 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What tha!,and he's in solitary.This world is so politically correct it's wrong.So we have murders,theifs and muggers on the bloody streets.So we a person with no human civil rights because he won't wear clothes.I am speachless,shakeing my head,in disbelief.F%ck me,hear everything now.The courts are so out of date,and a law to themselves.

Being nude is/should be a basic right.. You don't have to let him into shops pubs etc naked but the this interpretation of the law is just barbaric.

• jclarksonjclarkson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should try stripping off in the lobby at the houses of parliament and get some proper publicity

It is shocking how Stephen Gough has been treated. People commit worse crimes and receive a lesser sentence than this. There should be some give and take on both sides here and he should not be in prison. Perhaps he should go where he can live his life the way he wants and out of the limelight.

is there a campaign to free Naked Rambler Stephen Gough?
        I will certainly support it

• WitchwoodWitchwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why punish someone so harshly under a breach of process issue for doing what he is allowed to do in law when true offenders against society are allowed to walk free. The courts should be held accountable for this breach of human rights.

• Robert WatersonRobert Waterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This man is a former Marine and has served his country (ie the U.K.) and this is how he's thanked. Release him, he's not hurting anybody.

• Brian PowellBrian Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What has happened to Steven Gough is absolutely out of proportion to the "harm" he has caused. Murderers spend less time inside. When he is released it is the prison staff that allege offense not genuine members of the public. In reality it is the prison itself that is putting him back inside. I suppose it keeps the warders in a job. Personally I find the burka infinitely more offensive than nudity ever could be.

• naturaliannaturalian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do believe that the next time he is released the police have decided that they will take him somewhere to the borders with England and there let him go to wander naked in a country that is a bit more sensible about simple nakedness! I have read something to this effect from a senior police officer. If that is the case lets hope he wont wander back into scotland, a country who's leader wants independence from UK yet who doesn't want to take its share of the debt its own bank caused,says a lot about those inc the judiciary running the country.

This man clearly is not seeing the big picture. If the case was dropped then potenially millions of people would feel justified in not wearing clothes. What about the clothing and fashion industries? With the need for clothing reduced they would collapse. What about the revenue generated for the legal profession as they prolong this farce?

There not being a law about something has never stopped people being jailed for it even if only on some other pretence.

On the other hand:

Why not just jail the people who keep prosecuting him for wasting police time and the whole thing will be forgotten in a few months.

And in reponse to another poster here: If this guy is some kind of pervert would not his intent be immediately evident?

No one asked anyone to look at him, so respect his privacy.

It's his body after all if he wants to expose it to the elements it's his choice.

• Richard FoleyRichard Foley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outrageous abuse of judicial power and a clear waste of our money. The scottish court presents itself as a medieval middle-eastern country, immature, educationally backward and full of rightuous puritanical idiots wielding big sticks on little people.

Ten years for wearing your birthday suit,why when we are all nude under our kilts.

seems like a sledgehammer and nut problem - if we want to make a point that public nudity is offensive to some - and to some people it is - then lets give him a useful punishment like some form of community service ( maybe he could litter pick while rambling and have to wear a nice big bag slung actross his front to put rubbish in) i don't particulary want to see a naked rambler but prison is a waste of taxpayers money and should be kept for serious offences.|
        BTW there is a law of public decency which covers public nudity among other things so its not correct to say there's no law against it but out on moors there aren't many members of the public surely - and uk weather being what it is left to himself i'm sure he soon chosse to wear clothes rather than face our climate all year round.

If he wants to scald his goolies whilst cooking breakfast... that's up to him. Buy him a pad at some nudist colony... it would work out cheaper for the taxpayer.

• David CooperDavid Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aaron - children would laugh rather than being offended or sickened. If Stephen was a pervert he would have gone for public places rather than going rambling in the back of beyond, and if he was a paedophile he'd be doing what paedophiles do: wearing clothes, pretending to be respectable and finding a way to work with children, most likely as a sports coach. I always wonder if the people who suggest Stephen might be a paedophile are doing so to try to divert attention away from themselves, hoping to make people think that paedophiles look strange or behave oddly, someone who goes about naked being such an obvious target.

Feedback and Knowledge Base