I suggest a campaign about ...

Free Naked Rambler Stephen Gough now- 10 yrs in prison for refusing to put clothes on is a travesty

A campaign to free this man who has been held in prison, in solitary confinement, almost continuously since 2006. The Police arrest for "Breach of Peace"- he is taken to Court and he states it is his right to be nude (there is no law that states you cannot be nude)- the Court say he is in contempt of Court and sentence him to maximum penalty. He is released, he comes out naked and the police wait outside to arrest him, he goes back to Court, who find him in contempt etc etc....This madness needs to be stopped. At £40,000 a year plus it is complete a waste of tax payers money. But most importantly there is no law that says he can't be nude.

1,399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rachael KingRachael King shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

309 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MarionMarion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe that we find it offensive to look at a naked human body. All other animals go around unclothed - why MUST we wear clothes if we don't want to?

• melmel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a minute i thought i was reading about something that was happening in China..

• John FreestoneJohn Freestone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have there been marches - naked, obviously - in protest about this? That seems to be the way to go - naked people power. Of course, it's utterly insane in this day and age that we can't be naked. However, I'd contest the idea that "there is no law that states he cannot be nude" - there are public indecency laws that amount to the same thing. We need to change the law. Just as there were laws against homosexual acts at one time, which we now see as insane, we'll see the indecency law as insane. But it will probably only happen when police forces are run ragged trying to arrest masses of naked protestors and the jails are full. I personally don't think people are generally bothered enough about that freedom to expose themselves - which is embarrassing to most of us due to our upbringing - and then spend time in prison for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it. I hope I'm wrong. I salute Stephen and other naturists.

• John MJohn M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical of a system that tramples all over the working person and imposes rules that really are not there to be broken in the first place.

• BeeBee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What?! Free this man! Are we so ashamed of a real naked body that we lock a man up-in solitary confinement. Please don't forget to vote (see button top left).

• RoyRoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have followed Steve's activities from his first solo walk until now.
        Pity he can't squash his principles for long enough to get back across the border and join us again.
        Roy

• Marc Chaudemanche (France)Marc Chaudemanche (France) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Je ne mettrais pas les pieds en Écosse tant qu'il ne sera pas libéré et j'encourage mes connaissances à faire de même. Je n'imaginais pas le pays qui a vu naître l'Ardbeg aussi arriéré.

• Phil GreenPhil Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since when has a naked body been offensive? It's what you do with it which can be deemed offensive... If your intension is to harass, alarm or distress, then an offence is being committed. People who smoke could cause distress to anyone who has lost a loved one to smoking related illness.. Smoking is not against the law... No one has ever died as a result of someone being naked..

• MellissaMellissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Expat "These terms are defined by the prevailing values and sensibilities of the society as a whole - that includes people of all ages, all religions and so on." This is not what has happened in convicting Stephen of breach of the peace. Show me the evidence that the prevailing values and sensibilities of society as a whole include the locking up, and massive public expense, of this man, because as far as I'm aware there has been no public vote on it. The convictions and specifics of the case remain within the court domain, and I've read somewhere that there was no jury involved for subjectivity in at least one of them. Neither has there been any proof that seeing someone naked causes harm or distress (show me a scientific unbias study, because I can't find one). So the convictions are based on one persons opinion that it might cause harm and distress in the specific situation. Societal norms are just that - norms. Those outside of 2 sigma deviations from the norm should not be locked away based on the **opinion** of one other person of what is potentially harmful, because that's a very dangerous situation, as proven by the history books.

Free him now, or prove how the convictions were impartial from personal belief and in the public benefit, i.e. worth the money.

• JaneJane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry not to have made myself clearer. Of course he should be freed. OUr money should be spent on more serious issues.

• David CooperDavid Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A man has spent five years in prison for nothing, and you glibly say we have more important matters to sort! (Unless I'm reading your comment the wrong way.) Yes, of course there are more important matters in a world where millions of people regularly starve to death, but that doesn't make this issue any less important than it is. If we don't stand up for everyone who's being abused by a mindless system, we lose our humanity.

1 2 8 10 12 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base