I suggest a campaign about ...

Illegal EU Caged Egg Imports from 2012

From 1st January 2012, it will be illegal to keep hens in battery cages anywhere in the European Union. However, despite having had 12 years to implement the regulations laid down by the Laying Hens Directive 1999, some EU member states will fail to reach the deadline and are seeking an extension for their farmers. This could result in millions of hens being kept in battery cages illegally, and millions of battery eggs entering the UK illegally, potentially hidden in processed foods such as ready meals, pasta, cakes etc.

British farmers have invested £400m to comply with this legislation. However, they now face unfair competition, not only from egg producers outside the EU who do not need to comply with EU legislation, but also from non-compliant EU farmers.

We are asking you to sign our petition to tell David Cameron and his Government that we want to food labelling which clearly states if egg-based ingredients are sourced from caged hens. Improved food labelling will allow consumers to make an informed choice to help protect higher welfare production and to support British egg producers – good for both the welfare of hens, and our British egg producers.

1,860 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andy TomesAndy Tomes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

858 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Initially, I supported a couple of the 38 degrees campaigns having a good knowledge of the context and arguments. However, I started see campaigns that used sweeping statements and heavily journalist language. I wanted to support some of those campaigns but not through a lobbyist that lent itself to such stigma. I then began to question how exactly their campaigns came into being. I made several attempts to contact them about how this process worked but received no form of reply. Through looking at articles about 38 degrees, it turns out the campaign ideas have to be approved by the 38 degrees panel. They have exploited this power, largely for their own agenda where they approved campaigns with multiple times less votes than campaigns they haven't approved. There is also a woeful lack of transparency in where 38 degrees receives its funding.
        Spread the message and spread the link
        http://www.iaindale.com/posts/38-degrees-selfish-self-absorbed-arrogant-ignorant-manipulative-hugely-successful

• Sandra NewnsSandra Newns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had an Egg Farm in tghis Cornish Parish, most of the workers, were given reduncancy, the egg shed have been sold off, The only people to make money out of this were the owners. It would appear that Britain,the leader in following rules has again been left at the starting post. Only real good point we will have Happy Hens.

Are you seriously expecting out goverment to care about this. Do honestly think that the EEC wants to do anything more than create more means by which they can rip off our farmers. Only when the whole of this country is owned governed and taxed into poverty will the EEC start leaving us alone.
        Opt out now and we'll abide by our own rules.

Many of the UK farmers are struggling to make ends meet, and have law abidingly, at considerable cost, complied with the Laying Hens Directive 1999. Allowing law breaking EU farmers to sell battery hen eggs in this country in any form is totally outrageous. Please do not give in to this pressure.

• Spammy SpamualSpammy Spamual commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support clear mandatory labelling for all products containing chicken meat as well as eggs from caged hens.

• Trish TrottTrish Trott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the 21st century and this cruel method of exploiting animals still continues. It's shameful and about time we all tried to abolish such practice...I for one wish not to play a part in this cruelty.

• Brenda SteeleBrenda Steele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Require manufacturers importing from those countries to put an advisory on their products in large print. Fine major importers if they do not conform.

• Nick TaylorNick Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always buy British Free Range Eggs, I don't want to unintentionally buy Pasta or Cakes or any other food product that contain eggs from Caged Hens. We need clear Food labelling NOW!

• GarethGareth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why in this day and age are barbaric methods of food production still being used?

• littleroolittleroo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Girls need our support as they themselves won't be listened too. A hen is designed to be predominantly outside or at least in a roomy well maintained Barn whatever country they are in. If the products ( Plainly marked) are not bought by the many then the need for mass egg production will greatly reduce or hopefully cease.
        Some say animals are dumb but remember when pointing one's finger there are three pointing back at them.

• beckybecky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need to support our farmers its unfair that they have had to dig deep to find the funds to meets these requirements and other countries still can't get their act together after 12 years. there are far to many hens suffering because of their awful living conditions this needs to stop. whatever happened to the welfare act? is it just not written in anything but english. as consumers we have a right to know whats in our food and where it comes from. we need to bring about these very small changes in a hope we can go on and make bigger changes like banning all caged birds.

• RSMRSM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely we have a right to know what we are eating. Support hens, animal welfare standards and British farmers by insisting upon transparency.

• Andrew CookAndrew Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't eggsept the eggs from overseas if they don't comply with what we consider good practice in this country. EggsActly.

• Marina MarshallMarina Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE allow food labelling to show clearly the source of origin. We are entitled to make up our own minds about this and failure to permit this may well be taken, in some quarters, as "protecting" the interestsof those who do not care enough about welfare AND about health.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 42 43

Feedback and Knowledge Base