I suggest a campaign about ...

Drop Egypt's Debt

Hosni Mubarak pillaged Egypt’s economy, and leaves office with $70 billion in his family’s bank account. But he also bequeaths $30 billion in debt to the Egyptian people. This debt is illegitimate - much of it being run up to buy arms and other Western goods which benefited the regime and kept it in power. The UK is 'owed' £100 million by Egypt, but the British Government won't tell us how the loans were used.

People should not pay unjust ‘dictator debts’, nor should they pay debts whose origins are kept secret.

- The British Government must immediately come clean about it’s Egyptian debts
- It must cancel those which are odious - benefiting Mubarak and keeping him in power

Moreover, we must support the Egyptian people to audit all of their debts. This would enable the Egyptian people to take control of their economy and run it for themselves - not for the benefit of Western governments or banks.

If the debt is not cancelled it will be used to force economic policies onto Egypt and the Egyptian people will find that they are unable to properly exercise control over their own economy, society or even their own lives. New loans are already being offered to Egypt, which would simply allow the country to pay off its old unjust debts, and build up even worse debts in the years to come.

The lenders must take responsibility for propping up Mubarak's odious regime. The Egyptian people must be enabled to decide their own future, free of Mubarak's debts.

Drop Egypt’s debts.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick DeardenNick Dearden shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

er.. We have no money and we lend it out? that makes as much sense anything else successive governments have done I suppose.

The collapse of Egypts economy will be being overseen do not lose heart all economies will go down at about the same time, allegedly.

• Alaa SaadAlaa Saad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we must be free from mubarak's debts & the new debts that the UK wants us to drown into because they already know that our economy is worsening & we wouldn't be able to pay the debts & the interest on the debt , anyway this article is very realistic because it's really unjust to pay mubarak's debts , we must start a new democratic life free from the previous darknesses

• mo meligymo meligy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i you continue with this policy the poor people will begin to hate your governments,you helped the dictator to keep oppression,we have changed and you too must do same.

• Ammie El-Atar WhaleyAmmie El-Atar Whaley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No more debt slavery! How many times must people pay for their own oppression? Isn't enough of UK profit already bloody & dirty enough? Let Egyptians & other world citizens be free of unfair debt.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cancel the debts, and let Egyptians start a new bright future! Support CHANGE and vote :)!

• Francesca FennFrancesca Fenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

£100 million is not an earthshattering amount for our government to give, but to cancel that debt would help Egypt enormously, and would send a very real message of support for the new government in Egypt, and for its people. Let's go for it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base