I suggest a campaign about ...

CCTV to be made compulsory in UK slaughterhouses.

Following Animal Aid's detailed investigation into UK slaughterhouses, the campaigning group is calling for mandatory CCTV to be installed in all abattoirs. This must be made law ahead of January 2013 when new Regulations - which will not allow the UK to improve upon existing measures - come into force. Already, the supermarkets are on board. Now we just need to persuade the government!

1,060 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kate FowlerKate Fowler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

423 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • priscilla littmodenpriscilla littmoden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How sadistic and evil are these people. How can they hurt living beings when they are going to be killed for people like themselves to eat. Isn't life hard enough for these poor animals without being tortured prior to death. These people should be tortured in the same way, I would volunteer to do it!!!!! Upsets me so much to see it, hear of it and to stand by helpless to do anything about it. Close Cheale Meats down!!! Prosecute them for allowing the cruelty and punish the culprits.

• priscilla littmodenpriscilla littmoden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How sadistic and evil are these people. How can they hurt living beings when they are going to be killed for people like themselves to eat. Isn't life hard enough for these poor animals without being tortured prior to death. These people should be tortured in the same way, I would volunteer to do it!!!!! Upsets me so much to see it, hear of it and to stand by helpless to do anything about it. Close Cheale Meats down!!! Prosecute them for allowing the cruelty and punish the culprits.

• Marc OrmeMarc Orme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is quite simply a must - animals suffer enough as it is. Personally, I wish more people would follow the path my wife and I have taken and stop eating meat and other animal products but this is the least that can be done. The Government has to come on board...no excuses.

• Lesley RobinsonLesley Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For far too long videos of sick b'stards cruelly lording it in abattoirs over animals about to lose their lives have been made public. Unbelievably, DEFRA, that ignorant, pointless coagulation of governmental cowards, has done NOTHING to halt the appalling acts of violence against these poor creatures. With no one but angry members of the public to speak out in their defence, I DEMAND THAT CCTV IS THE VERY LEAST METHOD OF PROTECTION WE CAN OFFER DOOMED ANIMALS TO ENSURE THEIR DEATH COMES AS QUICKLY AND AS HUMANELY AS POSSIBLE. CCTV must be installed in EVERY abattoir IMMEDIATELY, NO IFS, NO BUTS.

• Chris Panayi - Brighton.Chris Panayi - Brighton. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen video footage of the cruelty & sadism which occurs in slaughterhouses, and I can only imagine what might go on if the cameras weren't installed. Those seen to be cruel should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law!

• Anthony HarrisonAnthony Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An animals life and feelings are just as important to it as yours are to you.
        Treat animals as gently as if they were human, and punish those that don't respect them. CCTV is a good way to detect these cruel people.

• Miles NewmanMiles Newman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Knowingly, avoidably and unnecessarily killing, or in any way harming, animals is not a neutral act. How could it be? And it is not an act of kindness. How could it be? It is unkind. Kindness is good. Unkindness is not good. It never will be.

When any killing or unkindness to an animal is avoidable, or unnecessary, or both, then that unkindness clearly is not neutral, it is not humane. It amounts to cruelty. Cruelty is bad, always has been. Always will be.

• ElleElle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're not going to end animal cruelty in these slaughterhouses unless there is CCTV keeping an eye on things and decent human beings involved in the overseeing of it all! I feel the type of person you have to be, to be able to kill a living thing, needs watched!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base