I suggest a campaign about ...

Funding for Cystic Fibrosis Research

Therapy research for the treatment of Cystic Fibrosis has a shortfall of £6 million would it be possible to lobby MPs for government funding.

There have been items regarding this in the Observer 05.06.11 - Daybreak on ITV 08.06.11 The Telegraph today

The Observer 05.06.11
The £30m programme, involving a consortium of scientists from London, Oxford and Edinburgh, had reached the final stages of drug development but earlier this year ran out of cash. More than 80 scientists had been working for a decade on the treatment, funded by the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
However, the trust has suffered a recent slump in raising funds because of the recession. As a result, the consortium's work has been suspended and unless a further £6m is raised by autumn, it will be abandoned.
"We have developed a drug," said Professor Eric Alton, the consortium's co-ordinator. "We have carried out safety tests on it. We have found that the drug works very well in many patients. We have manufactured large numbers of doses of the drug. We have lined up 200 patients to take part in the final phases of trials. But now we have had to suspend operations because our money has run out. We are already laying off staff. It is horrendous."

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Irene James Irene James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...