I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop Puppy Farming and Back Yard Breeders

In recent years there has been a huge increase in Puppy Farming, both large and small scale, mainly due to the increased popularity in Designer Dogs.It is being done purely for profit. These dogs are kept in completely inhumane conditions. Just recently a welsh sheep farmer has been given license to increase the dogs kept in a shed from 9 to 100 !! Something must be done to stop this type of business ... as that's all it is, no thought goes into the health,conditions,welfare etc of the dogs involved, please help.

309 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SjSj shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SandraSandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The laws we have in this county governing animal welfare are out dated and in desperate need of modernization. Each day people try their hardest to stop hundreds of dogs from being distroyed because they are surplus to requirements. Shelters are full all across the country. People desperately try to find placements for these dogs either in rescues centres, fosterers or forever homes. The sad truth is that there is way to many dogs ending up in kill shelters and after their 7 days are up find there is no place for them to go so are put to sleep. Unless the law can step in and stop the amount of breeding that is being done it's only going to get worse and I dread how it will be as we come up to Christmas and just after. 38 degrees please take action on this cause. It's so needed.

• lisa bobrowskilisa bobrowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely disgraceful that this trade is allowed in what should be a civilised country! Please stop it Now!

• Joanne WestonJoanne Weston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that new legislation is required to stop the practice of dog breeding purely for profit, where bitches are bred from at every season and kept in cramped conditions. There should be a licensing system for breeding dogs with payment made to a regulatory body so there can be proper inspections of welfare and enforcement with criminal penalties. I believe our pet loving nation would be very enthusiastic about this legislation. Perhaps the RSPCA could be given the responsibility for monitoring and enforcement.

• ClarissaClarissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated…I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by [people] from the cruelty of [human kind]”—Mahatma Gandhi

• Jan GilmourJan Gilmour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100 in one shed that planning approval was rushed through via the back door just last week and another with 96 dogs that goes before planning committee 18/8/11 @10am Carmarthen County Council

• penny rosepenny rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Farming pedigree dogs and now 'designer mongrels' has become big business. These poor animals are kept and raised in terrible conditions of filth and mental deprivation. IT IS TIME TO IMPLEMENT THE LAWS ALREADY IN PLACE and insist that all breeding dogs undergo the appropriate health tests before breeding , to stop the trade in sick malformed puppies.

• vinyavinya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would you pay someone to miss treat a dog? thats what people do who buy from puppy farms. it needs to STOP

• Dianna R HarroldDianna R Harrold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Puppy Farming has been going on for generations but, today it is a serious business. As well as Wales being notorious for said Farmers many pups come over to Stranraer from Ireland. They are stopped wherever possible but, seemingly this horrendous form of breeding seems to multiply. Greed is the basis. No thought given to the whelping bitches. A craze for a Designer Dog - sorry - for the public's information that means - mongrel. Choose a breed, go to a reputable breeder and you will have life-long contact, especially at times of illness or worry. Not so with Puppy Farmers, Back-street Breeders, call them what you will. Something HAS to be done for the sake of the Welfare of all those very sad bitches. Councils, also, have much to answer for in granting a Licence. In the 21st Century this is barbaric.

• StephSteph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest you contact the press. Jane Ashwell Carter has posted some links.I thought he was keeping more dogs or is it just 100 in that shed and more elsewhere?

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base