I suggest a campaign about ...

An amendment to the Bail Bill that will help prevent domestic violence murders

1 woman is murdered by a current or ex-partner in the uk every 3days. Last year Jane Clough was murdered by her ex - Vass who was on bail for 6 counts of rape, 3 assaults and 1 sexual assault. Despite objections by the Police and CPS. There is a petition that has been through the first stage and now needs signatures to support an amendment to the Bail allowing bail decisions to be appealled. Jane Clough and many other victims would be alive today if her (their) killer had not been granted bail.

697 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Claire MooreClaire Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

181 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • emem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its about time victims were protected then lives would not like lovely Jane's a dedicated nurse and wonderful mother; be lost and its as simple as that. Who is going to protect these people from being murdered !! Change the bail law !! What good reason have you got not to do so???? Its disgraceful !!

• June DillowJune Dillow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rape is illegal, domestic violence is a crime, stop giving the pepetrators bail and give them a sentance that fits the disgusting crime they commit

• John CloughJohn Clough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jane died because she, or the police or the CPS could not appeal an unjustifiable bail decision by Judge Newell, despite having nine rape charges and four assault charges,he considered Vass's right to freedom was more important than Jane's right to safety......look what that decision cost.
        Help us make the change that could prevent this happening again, and again, and again...........please support the petition.

• Penny Clough Penny Clough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

too many victims of abuse dare not report abuse, Jane did and was murdered by Vass, because he was given bail.
        Lets get the legal system to protect these brave women x

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remember hearing my mum scream at night asking her 7 year old son for help as his father beat her because she asked why he had lipstick on his collar. Never was able to protect her while she was alive :-( sorry Mum

• lyn smithlyn smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is time the government and relevant justice departments listened to the public and why the immediate review and specific changes, or amendments must be made to the laws as they currently stand as they are failing those who need them the most, the innocent victims.

Laws should be an entity that fit in with the requirements of a societies needs, in times of high level violence we need a stronger sentencing and penalties against perpetrators. And when the need is not so great then structure the sentencing and penalty to fit the crime.

To often the perpetrator's character/background or situation is taken into account at court.
        Who is the Voice for the Victim and bereaved family left to pick up the pieces?

• Liz MooreLiz Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This bill needs amending as soon as possible. Jane would still be alive if the judge had not given Vass bail.

• Liz MooreLiz Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Judges need to take notice of the police and CPS and realise that men who are violent to women pose a risk to the woman if allowed out on bail. Jane Clough would still be alive if Vass was not granted bail.

• Sandra AtkinsonSandra Atkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to Jayne was so awful, when so many women feel unable to report domestic violence and rape. She was so brave to speak up and what happened to her for it was so unforgivable. I hope Vass gets what he gave in that prison but after watching 'strangeways' the evil beast is better off than many of the honest people I know. Utter disgrace!!!!!!

• Tracy MaylettTracy Maylett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i fully support victims off rape,jane clough was brave enough to stand up to vass and report the domestic violence as a result she lost her life to a monster that shouldent have been on our streets,the deverstating consequences this has left janes family with is a void and deep sadness they will never be able to fill,they have been given the life sentence not vass,this needs to STOP and inercent victims and there families need to be protected

• ClaudetteClaudette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Change needs to happen A beautiful Mother, daughter Sister and friend lost her life because she was brave enough to stand up for what she beileved in. I am a christian but this man does not deserve any rights. Lets do something about it before another family got through it

Feedback and Knowledge Base