I suggest a campaign about ...

An amendment to the Bail Bill that will help prevent domestic violence murders

1 woman is murdered by a current or ex-partner in the uk every 3days. Last year Jane Clough was murdered by her ex - Vass who was on bail for 6 counts of rape, 3 assaults and 1 sexual assault. Despite objections by the Police and CPS. There is a petition that has been through the first stage and now needs signatures to support an amendment to the Bail allowing bail decisions to be appealled. Jane Clough and many other victims would be alive today if her (their) killer had not been granted bail.

697 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Claire MooreClaire Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

181 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Campaign is now ended, thank you everyone who has added their support, we have not been able to remove this petition for two years now. Please if anyone in 38 degrees admin reads these posts can you please remove this petition link.
        John Clough, Jane Cloughs Father.

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not start a petition on this issue. Violence against women and children is not taken seriously enough. Sentencing and bail restrictions need to be far more punitive.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a family member who is in a violent relationship who is too scared to leave because she has not been able to get support from the police, Their attitude is that if we arrest him he will be out in a couple of hours. These individuals should be locked up until trial and then sent to prison on conviction. The abuse extends to the family, including children, and friends of the abused because they have no control over what is happening to their loved one and live in dread of the next phone call.

• Zoe BremerZoe Bremer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can add to this by confirming that our prisons show a marked lack of people on remand for domestic violence. The implication is that the majority are out on bail.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've voted in support. Mirroring Linda Jones' comment, I believe that bail should not be granted to anyone committing a violent offence.

May I also point out, that men can also be victims of domestic abuse. As can children, parents, the elderly, siblings - any family member of any age, gender or ethnicity. This petition needs to reflect that. Women are more likely to be abused but that does not mean that male victims should be ignored.

The issue is that domestic abuse in general is not taken seriously by the legal system. The police do not understand DV and blame victims for going back (it's not that simple!) so are reluctant to help. Male victims are not believed because it goes against our gender beliefs (which is insulting to women, why can't a woman be a perpetrator??), children are passed back and forth by social services because there is no clear strategy and elder abuse is ignored altogether.

Did you know - Domestic abuse services are charities - why doesn't the government fund these?

• Florence MooreFlorence Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bail should not be granted to men like this even the police opposed bail so why do judges not listen and why do they always look to blame the woman and blame her for putting up with domestic violence, instead of blaming men for carrying out the violence

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and im obviously not a woman but i do think that women sometimes get a bad time in our justice system and thats simply NOT FAIR or right

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i totally agree with linda on this our justice system is in a mess

It seems unbelievable that the British justice system jails a young woman for accepting a pair of stolen shorts, supposedly stolen during the riots, but lets Vass out on bail. The whole justice system needs an overhaul and the bail system in particular.

• Julia HarknessJulia Harkness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the people in power I as a woman have a right to have legislation that protects me from monsters like Vass. if anything is to come of the death of this lovely young woman it should be that no one else is left vulnerable. Look at the bail conditions now. Please.

This clearly shows there is no justice just laws. Women should get together to fight such injustice and for the human rights of all women to be treated with dignity and respect.

• MithrilMithril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The courts seem to regularly forget about the civil rights of those who are the victims of crime. These poor ladies are loosing the safety of being able to live their lives without having to look over their shoulders just in case. This needs to change and the sooner the better.

• SarahSarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The British justice system stinks! Why are the perpetrators treated like victims, they shouldn't be given a 2nd thought - as far as I'm concerned they surrender all their human rights the moment they commit their crime. I hope Vass suffers everyday!

• CharlotteCharlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change is definitely needed. After watching the program, I am shocked by what happened, and how the legal system allowed this. More awareness is needed for domestic violence, as well as support and safety given to the victims of it. Support to all of Jane's family and friends, it is amazing what you are doing to prevent this happening again. x

• linda rushtonlinda rushton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is for all women, lets stop all the shit we get from men. come on ladies sign for all we are worth

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base