I suggest a campaign about ...

Funding for bio-medical research into M.E. and not the psychiatric lobby or big pharma.

The definition of M.E. as a neurological illness as classified by the World Health Organisation is widely acknowledged. However, why is the funding in the UK given to the psychiatric lobby and NOT into clinical or bio-medical research? Is it because this area is monopolised by those with particular vested ?interests

1,199 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nicola KellNicola Kell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

272 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JASJAS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please ensure ME receives vital funds for serious biomedical research, we do not need psychiatric 'beliefs' but scientific facts. These patients are simply ill, it is not their fault, and they deserve to be treated with respect and have the same basic human rights afforded to them as to other ill patients, and the biomedical cause of their illness determined.

• Paul DacrePaul Dacre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Politics have diverted funding into this very serious illness away from biomedical research for decades. Psychiatry has ruled this nest for far too long and to the detriment of the lives of the 17 million sufferers worldwide. Time for that to change.

• Barbara KellBarbara Kell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We very sadly lost another beautiful well known advocate for ME this week. If bio-medical research had been started when this disease was first discovered would this lovely lady and many others like her have had to die in terrible pain? How many more families torn apart by either death or ignorance?
        Yes this is a real illness and yes it does kill.
        Thank you so much to the ones who repeatedly come on here leaving intelligent comments and support for this campaign.

• Mary SchweitzerMary Schweitzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most vocal advocates of M.E. = CFS = neurasthenia (a nervous condition, somaticizing) is Peter White, MD, who was Chief Medical Officer of Scottish Provident, then kept that position when it was taken over by Swiss RE (a multinational re-insurance company). White was CMO of Swiss RE when lead author on the recently released "PACE" study claiming Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Graded Exercise [CBT/GET] "cure" CFS and ME (tho if you look at the actual study, the evidence does NOT support that conclusion). He was also CMO of Swiss RE when serving on the small committee that evaluated the CDC's five-year program on CFS. Simon Wessely and Michael Sharpe, two other psychiatrists prominent in the literature for insisting CBT/GET "cures" CFS and M.E., have ties to UNUM insurance company. Wessely's wife has a powerful position on the MRC, where research showing biomedical abnormalities goes to die. They make a great show of debunking "Cartesian dualism," and then insist these diseases are wholly psycho-social. Despite the placement of M.E. under neurology by WHO since 1969, they have instructed clinicians to diagnose it as neurasthenia, citing an 1869 textbook that stated girls who study science risked either neurasthenia or hysteria (defined in that book as the shrunken womb). Are there no investigative journalists left in the UK?

• Michael EvisonMichael Evison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you were buying some treatment that your life depended upon, would you listen to the salesman or the people who had experienced the illness? Please read the comments on here and make your decision.

• Angel StephensAngel Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everybody knows that M.E.,Fibromyalgia & CFS are NOT in the head so whats all this with the psychiatric part? We need proper bio-medical research for these illnesses NOT certain people living in the middle ages that think we are all making this illness up.
        We need people to listen and help us NOT to make us all feel even worse.

• ShannonShannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If not for me or ones of my age almost 50 then please think of the ones coming to their doctors that are of the younger generation. I wouldnt wish this illness on anyone and if you havent walked in the shoes of ones who suffer this terrible illness then heres an insight Im sure youve heard it all but please hear it again and again till something is done about it...
        Most days I function on a very low low level of energy thats not the bad part of this, but the constant nerve pain most everywhere and the difficulty with simple tasks like dressing myself or cooking- i dont cook much anymore as I cant feel most of my hands so burn them easily or cant even pick up the pot as its too heavy... Cant work, im not reliable, as it affects me most of the time, the lack of short term memory sometimes alone is so frustrating and then if shopping with my family as i cant do alone anymore, sometimes the amounts of words packages and products can be so overwhelming, its as if there is too much information and only able to see not even one bit of information going in to my brain.... I used to multi task, and be outgoing, not I take a long time to do even one thing... Im pretty much house bout except when friends take me out and even that has to work around my health if im up to it or not. This is not a disease that anyone would want. Im one of the lucky ones, I have a great support system, from friends and family and a great doctor surgery who all treat the whole me, who understand the debilitating symptoms and are only across the street from where I live... So many who suffer dont have a good support system, so please start seeing it for what it is its not made up or can be cured with psychology sessions or tablets... Thank you

• ShannonShannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If not for me or ones of my age almost 50 then please think of the ones coming to their doctors that are of the younger generation. I wouldnt wish this illness on anyone and if you havent walked in the shoes of ones who suffer this terrible illness then heres an insight Im sure youve heard it all but please hear it again and again till something is done about it...
        Most days I function on a very low low level of energy thats not the bad part of this, but the constant nerve pain most everywhere and the difficulty with simple tasks like dressing myself or cooking- i dont cook much anymore as I cant feel most of my hands so burn them easily or cant even pick up the pot as its too heavy... Cant work, im not reliable, as it affects me most of the time, the lack of short term memory sometimes alone is so frustrating and then if shopping with my family as i cant do alone anymore, sometimes the amounts of words packages and products can be so overwhelming, its as if there is too much information and only able to see not even one bit of information going in to my brain.... I used to multi task, and be outgoing, not I take a long time to do even one thing... Im pretty much house bout except when friends take me out and even that has to work around my health if im up to it or not. This is not a disease that anyone would want. Im one of the lucky ones, I have a great support system, from friends and family and a great doctor surgery who all treat the whole me, who understand the debilitating symptoms and are only across the street from where I live... So many who suffer dont have a good support system, so please start seeing it for what it is its not made up or can be cured with psychology sessions or tablets... Thank you

• Michael EvisonMichael Evison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those who suffer from from ME know that psychiatric treatments are Hocus Pocus and only benefit those that are selling them.

• Joyce BarrassJoyce Barrass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

M.E. is physically crushing to the lives of children, young people with all their lives in front of them, and hardworking men and women who suddenly have the carpet of health, life and livelihoods pulled out from under them in the misdst of their active plans, joys and dreams. Please don't crush us further by the outrage of calling this merely psychological. Bio-medical research is the only way to unlock this prison so please let this be the path taken in future.

• Pauline BentPauline Bent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when will you sit up and listen to the people suffering,it,s not all in our head,it,s very real and funding should go into clinical or bio-medical research,if funding went to the right people in the first place it maybe could have helped a lot of sufferers to lead a normal life a long time ago,instead we go on suffering,how much longer will it go on .

• Simon RetallickSimon Retallick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please fund biomedical research into ME. Treating us as psychosomatics has done immeasurable harm!

• C RetallickC Retallick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More funding for biomedical research please. It's the only path that will help the hundred's of thousands who are ill with M.E.

1 2 5 7 9 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base