I suggest a campaign about ...

Funding for bio-medical research into M.E. and not the psychiatric lobby or big pharma.

The definition of M.E. as a neurological illness as classified by the World Health Organisation is widely acknowledged. However, why is the funding in the UK given to the psychiatric lobby and NOT into clinical or bio-medical research? Is it because this area is monopolised by those with particular vested ?interests

1,199 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nicola KellNicola Kell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

272 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael EvisonMichael Evison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Mr Cameron, there are 250,000 ME sufferers who would like to get their lives back and work and contribute to society but your NHS research is stopping them. Cut the funding to Psychiatric research NOW!

• m Allenm Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to get better - we want to work - we want to live our lives to the full - help us to have our human right to life by helpiong us get funding for biomedical research!!!

• m Allenm Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please help those of us suffering, We recieve very little treatment, we requre futher understanding of our illness to be able to recieve what we deserve just like everyone else who has a debilitating diesease. Biomedical research is the only way forward. Please help us get our lives back and stop us rotting.

• Heather McIntoshHeather McIntosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sickened by the treatment of suffers of ME. So the good old S. W. phrase is you believe you are ill therefore you feel ill! Which century is this nonsense coming from? CBT is good for breaking patterns eg stop getting into abusive relationships ie think differently!! But to cure such a debilitating illness. Look into my eyes you are not ill!!!
        People with ME want to get better. They want their lives back. CBT and GET do not work. So funding for biochemical research please.

• Barbara KellBarbara Kell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone else getting weary of hearing the very people who are keeping us from receiving bio-medical research, wittering on and on and on about alleged death threats by the ME community. I would like
        1. To see the ME sufferer who has the strength to even think of killing anyone.
        2. To see the proof that these allegations have some real foundation.
        3. To see the newspapers become more responsible in their reporting. Unbiased seems to have left the journalists vocabulary.
        4. The BBC is a regulated body for which we pay a license fee and are therefor obliged to report without bias. If they do not keep their end of the contract are we then entitled to withhold our fee? I would say so.

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to help. I don't want to be ill anymore - another death and no one cares. Simon Wessely sitting smug in his office with his feet up on his desk, meanwhile the thousands of people he is mocking live a life from their homes and beds, well, it's not a life, it's existing.

Children and Adults prevented from being a part of society because someone, since 1956 when the first studies in ME were initiated, someone somewhere has decided to bury all that proof that ME is a real Biomedical illness and someone somewhere decided to never investigate the cause of the myriad of painful, odd, symptoms that leave you with a new you, a you that you don't recognise, a miserable you, a suicidal you, a can't take another day of feeling this way - you.

You have a cold, it goes in a week or two. I have felt like I have had the Flu since 1996. How do you ignore that? How do you drag yourself out of bed everyday and pretend you feel ok, when really you want to slit your wrists because it's better than existing in the hell that you've become accustomed to as "normal" and fighting every day because no-one believes you.

Even if ME were psychological - where is the treatment?

Please stop neglecting ME.

• Helen SheridanHelen Sheridan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further research into the physiological causes of ME will not only eventually lead to better understanding and effective treatment of the condition, but will also help break down the stigma attached to it. Invisible disabilities are a double whammy for sufferers who not only have to deal with the effects of the condition but also with the ignorant attitudes that tell them it is all in their head.

• PatPat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For decades the funding for research into ME has been psychiatric despite the fact that there are thousands of papers proving that ME is of physiological/neurologic decent. It it far, far past time for funding into bio-medical research for ME. Thank you for your consideration.

• Marjorie SwindlerMarjorie Swindler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, more funding, perhaps even a global coalition, for bio-medical research into M.E.'s pathophysiological causes? Please? Thank you.

• Michael EvisonMichael Evison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where are the people on here speaking about the benefits of the psychiatric treatments. There aren't on here or anywhere else apart from those who are making a living out pedaling false hope to the unfortunate.

• Margaret JollyMargaret Jolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We who have ME know that CBT and GET do not work and has made many of us worse. We deserve to have the same amount spent on biomedical research appropriate to the WHO classification as a neurological illness.

• FIGURESFIGURES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Psychiatrists do a wonderful job in psychiatric illnesses, but their success rates for ME are poor compared to their normal quality of service. Does this not suggest that ME might not be a psychiatric illness.? At least if we do some bio-medical research we might find out.

• johnjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought a little of taxpayers money at long last has recently started to go to bio-medical research but we need much much more considering the harm the devastating illness M.E. causes. More bio-medical research please.

Feedback and Knowledge Base