I suggest a campaign about ...

Funding for bio-medical research into M.E. and not the psychiatric lobby or big pharma.

The definition of M.E. as a neurological illness as classified by the World Health Organisation is widely acknowledged. However, why is the funding in the UK given to the psychiatric lobby and NOT into clinical or bio-medical research? Is it because this area is monopolised by those with particular vested ?interests

1,199 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nicola KellNicola Kell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

272 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • King FrogKing Frog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want my life back. Not a lot to ask is it? An unbroken night of refreshing sleep.... a day without unremiting disabling pain...... a visit to my granddaughter.
        My biggest dream? The ability to simply take a stroll in the countryside. For me, that's a BIG deal!
        PATIENTS ARE GIVEN NOTHING... NO RESEARCH.... NO CURE.... NO HOPE!

• Gillian BroughtonGillian Broughton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Goverment need to wake up once and for all , there are over 250,000 people including children suffering in UK with NO treatment available for them !!!!

• Michael EvisonMichael Evison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was most interested to read Ruth's message re the care of neurological illnesses in the USA. It is appalling that a country like the UK, that claims to respect peoples human rights, can systematically prejudice a minority of sick people on the grounds of a theory that has never been scientifically proven.

• C PhillipsC Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely It is time for the government to now fully acknowledge and rectify the shameful lack of proper bio-medical research into ME? (A sufferer of ten years.)

• Belle77Belle77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

M.E needs to be taken as seriously as the illness itself... it is also about time the UK took it more seriously and have funding in place. CDC now see this as a real illness, come on UK wake up and do something. M.E in ALL countries needs to have more research and funding, it is ruining so many peoples lives, it could be you or your loved one next! COME ON!

• marilynmarilyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very many people are depending on this life giving research those affect and the families.

• KarenKaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's hoping this campaign gets the M.E. funding directed to where it is desperately needed

• LisaLisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is well overdue.. M.E is becoming too wide spread to ignore any longer...

• nicolanicola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like MS which I have had for the past 17 years, ME is sadly not a priority, lets hope we can make it one

• Jenny SimpsonJenny Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There have been so many wrongs done to people with M.E in this country and it's time to start putting some of them right. The very least we deserve is proper bio-medical research.

• Ruth JamesRuth James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I am from the United States where M.E. is largely treated as the neurological disease as defined by the W.H.O., I am consistently appalled by the lack of medical treatment and humiliation shared by my "brothers and sisters" in the UK.

Certainly there is a faction in the UK being served by this shameful and shaming behavior. WHO, I ask? Not the World Health Organization. Not the international board of doctors who have agreed on an international definition.

The UK M.E. population is being held hostage by the psychiatric lobby in its own country, where they pay for medical care.

WHY?

At some point history books will tell of this atrocity as one of the cruelest times in medical history. Much like when MS was considered "hysteria."

Ruth EJ James

• Julie CusworthJulie Cusworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suffered at the hands of psychiatrists for this illness. They even said that it was my marriage which was at fault. Eventually my marriage broke up under the strain. I was made to feel like a freak and told that I didn't want to get better and that's why I was still ill. What we needed was support and understanding and now all I need, as do all the other people with M.E, is clinical or bio medical research to find a cure for this dreadful illness.

[Report]

less than a minute ago | Delete

• amy mannamy mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am someone effected by M.E and i would very much like it if you could give the funding for the research it is very much needed

Dear Andrew Lansley, if you want to save some money for the health service then cut the funding to psychiatric treatment for all neurological illness. Then if there is any money left after you have scrapped inheritance taxes, can you please fund bio-medical research?

• Yvonne WYvonne W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funding for bio medical research into M.E is desperately needed - there are so many people affected by this.

• King FrogKing Frog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE need bio-medical research! Time has stood still for hundreds of thousands of patients. WE cannot "talk" or "think" ourselves better and yet every penny of £M's has been allocated to the ruling psychiatric cadre. When will somebody, anybody, listen?

I have recently made contact with a number of people who have had psychiatric treatment and as yet none of them came out any better than they went in and many were worse.

Feedback and Knowledge Base