I suggest a campaign about ...

Open University fees

The Open University was created to give people a second chance at education when they had missed out first time round. Now Government cuts to its' grant mean that they are going to have to double their fees. We are concerned that this will eliminate the very students it was set up to attract.

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caryl HughesCaryl Hughes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
        I would just like to know what your views are on the government "cutting back", on subsidizing Open University fees. I feel as though this is one that slipped through the net, without a lot of opposition. The O.U offers people (usually mature) a good education at a fraction of the cost of mainstream university and with a great degree of flexibility. I feel the governments refusal to carry on subsidizing it is typical of a Tory government by way of keeping education for those wealthy enough to afford it. For your information the typical cost of a 60 point course was £700, it will now cost an average £2000.
        I look forward to your response,
        Sean Davey

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open University students fees generate very little income for the state and their chosen method of study reduces the need for expensive facilities to be built buy private companies. It also reduces the number of over paid university lecturers, deans etc that also help to provide a burden to the tax payer. Do we need roduce even more unemplyed graduates that will have time to think. Are you trying to promote anarchy?

• Gerry StonestreetGerry Stonestreet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is yet another example of the ideologically driven spite of this bunch of millionaire public school boys masquerading as a government. The OU was one of the most outstanding achievemnets of Harold Wilson's premiership and the Tories and their lickspittle LibDem lackeys would love to destroy it.

• Paul adkinsPaul adkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fees are going up by over 300% which will prevent all but the well off from studying, and the number of well off people is declining fast.

• Tim HainesTim Haines commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Government has wilfully misunderstood the ethos behind the Open University while trying to impose its dogma of price competition. There are higher values than 'market forces'!

Feedback and Knowledge Base