I suggest a campaign about ...

ensuring that future social care for our elderly does not rely on LAs ability to generate businesses

The Governments proposals to allow local authorities to reatin business rates for their area will mean that in future this will be the only source of funding for providing services for our most vulnerable elderly people. It is clear to see that the more deprived areas with greatest needs will inevitably suffer - we are in danger of sleep walking into a real post code lottery.

Social care funding should be provided on the basis of need, not the ability to generate business

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FFFF shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • P BowlesP Bowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really important issue that has slipped under the radar somewhat. I think it is exactly the kind of thing 38 Degrees should run with.

• JFJF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this campaign. The Government talks about empowerment, but for many of the most deprived and struggling parts of country what their proposed changes really means is impoverishment.

• Wayne GreenhoffWayne Greenhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like a dangerous move, especially after the huge spending cuts we have already had. How can the Government justify such a scheme? The elderly should not suffer from less funding for their area just because their local area struggles to generate businesses.

Feedback and Knowledge Base