I suggest a campaign about ...

Make Ecocide the 5th international crime against peace www.eradicatingecocide.com/thesolution/

Crimes against our ecosystems, like genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and crimes of agression, should be reconised by the International Criminal Court

2,103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    vonnconchvonnconch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

381 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • gary cheshiregary cheshire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but i dont agree.While i understand the sentiment completly,the thought of more legislation to criminalize ordinary people makes my stomach churn. I fear that the environmental movement will follow the path of political correctness into the arms of the absurd,and just like political correctness and climate change ,to disagree with the concensus will brand you as somekind of heretic.And just like sopa , the laws created will allow government to use the system in to further its own agenda.Therefore i would opposse any changes to the law in this regard.There are better ways of tackling issues without resorting to blanket legislation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meat is NOT green. >50% of the world's greenhouse gases are produced by the meat industry, more than all greenhouse gases produced by all forms of transport. 70-80% of the world's rainforests have already been cleared for animal-grazing. Lake Winnipeg, Gulf of Mexico, part of South China Sea, ... are dead zones because of the runoff of untreated manure from factory farming. The meat industry pollutes air, land and water. I hope environmentalists will realize that we cannot be meat-eating environmentalists if we truly want to save the planet. The single most effective way to stop (and perhaps reverse) global-warming is to meaningfully reduce our meat consumption. This is what UN, World Bank's Environmental Group, ... have been telling us. Bill Gates had a message for us at a conference he attended earlier this year - the future of meat is vegan. A handful of towns/cities in Europe have a meatless day a week. We (as consumers) collectively have the power to stop this act of ecocide by choosing meat-alternatives. Every single one of us is capable of going meatless, at least for part of a week. To adjust our diet, we don't need to wait for our governments to act or lobby politicians. A vegan/vegetarian diet is peaceful, eco-friendly, healthy and just (fair to our fellow human friends as we don't need to take away crops from the starved, feed them to animals and leave millions of people dying of starvation and lack of fresh water every year).

• Nina OwenNina Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Babbs, your campaigning is incredibly effective - you've made the Olympic sponsors pay tax which is a huge success. Please join us in supporting this cause. If we don't have a healthy planet, then all the other issues about which you're currently campaigning are a waste of time b/c Ecocide is the biggest issue facing the world today and upon which our survival, as human beings, depends.

• Nick RobsonNick Robson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eradicating Ecocide is the most hopeful and important initiative to preserve the Earth as a habitable home for the human race. It will bring the corporations under control and stop them destroying the environment on which our survival depends.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have One Planet , once it's destroyed it's too late to say oops we should have done something about that!
        the Earth is our mother

• Lizzie CornishLizzie Cornish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sad thing is, we should not even be having to HAVE this petition in the first place. Our beautiful planet should already be loved and protected in every way, for it is the Life Force of every Species upon it. Once, it did used to be this way, when Humans were in touch with Mother Earth. Now, we have become hugely disconnected by those who see the planet as merely another commodity to exploit, in this instance, literally, to death. We HAVE to Ecocide law, for if we do not our time upon this planet will be gone forever. It is our DUTY to do this, to stop the Insane Ones from doing anymore terrifying, irreversible damage.

New laws are necessary and will help protect our planet. In addition we need to find a way to have more people value our planet as we re-set our moral compasses.

We need a change of economic direction; the status quo of eternal growth has so badly effected the core of our society that until business & governments can take a long-term view new laws will by themselves struggle to effect the chnage we need.

• John MarshallJohn Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The human race must retake it's place in nature. One consequence of this will be to enact such a law.

• lizliz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever else you campaign on, campaign for this. This really is the single most important issue there is. It will change the mind set. It will establish a think first reaction. And it might help to stop those brave protectors of our rainforests being murdered for profit. We owe this to our children.

• Jackie KearnsJackie Kearns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an inspired campaign. It will be longstanding and if successful will have a powerful and very long term impact for good.

• Fereshteh EhsanFereshteh Ehsan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is long overdue - making Ecocide and international crime against peace will go a long way to creating a safer world for the future. Let's be far-sighted.

It's so simple........no environment GAME OVER. I don't know about you all but I want to keep playing. Lulu

• Beverley PhillipsBeverley Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, definitely. Ecocide is a crime against peace as well as against nature. Big businesses with their profit motive and their mandate to pay the shareholders as much money as possible, regardless of any moral consideration, are trashing our planet. They must not get away with it any longer. The planet and its people are running out of time.

First of all would it not be sensible for the International Criminal Court to actually be recognised.

They could gain some respect by acting on the behalf of all the Japanese war crimes. They could but I don't see it happening. The International Criminal Court is currently about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.

• Michael GallagherMichael Gallagher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

End waste incineration. Burning one tonne of waste represents the emission of 5 tonnes of co2 - 3 tonnes from making the products in our rubbish, and 2 tonnes from the combustion process.

• Diana MarquandDiana Marquand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The proposed ecocide law is not only an issue of envionmental signifigance, it is a human rights issue. While Africa suffers from land grabs and droughts and Pakistan and Bangladesh from regular flooding, we in the UK, who once traded in slaves, are still living like princes, demanding ever more oil to fuel the ships, planes, lorries that transport our consumer goods from all over the world.

• Diana MarquandDiana Marquand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the single most important campaign in the world: to give the world legal protection.Changing the law also changes peoples' consciousness and values: for example the Human Rights Act has had a huge part to play in changing consciousness in this country re. minority groups and in government organisations adopting non discriminatory practices.

Has to be done, at this rate. People have become disconected from nature as if its totally external to themselves in pursuit of profits. But then the damage these nature thugs do is not in their backyards. They certainly dont give a damn to the lives that depend on that adjacent land for their survival. This insular self seeking profit mindset has to stop.so laws will FORCE these corporations to behave accordingly.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base