I suggest a campaign about ...

Save Our Badgers!

The coalition's trial culls have been given the go-ahead, in the face of scientific evidence and public opinion.

Bovine TB is a terrible disease, but badgers are more likely to be its victims rather than its cause.

The Coalition's plans allow for "free shooting" of badgers, will result in 70% of badgers in a 150 sq km area being killed, will damage local ecosystems and - given those numbers - possibly make badgers extinct in these areas.

Even if the cull is "successful" it will only result in between a 12 and 16% reduction in Bovine TB (average scientific figures) or approx 27% (Government cherry-picked "best" scientific figure) - and there is the well-documented phenomena of perterbation, where infected badgers flee the killing grounds, thereby spreading TB to non-infected areas.

Badgers can easily catch TB from cattle. It's much harder for cattle to catch TB from badgers. So who is at fault?

This madness must stop.

1,944 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael EddyMichael Eddy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

412 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • linda watsonlinda watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was proof a while ago, based on scientific evidence, that culling does not work.
        If badgers are spreading this disease, why aren't all the cattle in the country infected? There are badgers everywhere, so?

• Nick HallamNick Hallam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is a Government incapable of taking a decision based on evidence rather than cosying up to the Countryside Alliance? What an appalling decision taken by an idiot.

• Rebecca Slattery-KavanaghRebecca Slattery-Kavanagh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This decision is based on flimsy evidence and ignorance. Man has done so much to harm these beautiful animals already with our incessant desire for out of town retail parks and housing developments - now it's time to stand up and fight for them. We should be proud of our wildlife.

• Sylvie DaltonSylvie Dalton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I expect very little from this Government, but even so they manage to shock me with their cynicism.

• Rebecca DevittRebecca Devitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Culling is barbaric and utterly irresponsible. We cannot allow such an horrific act against any of our wildlife but particularly not against our largest, intelligent and social mammal. This madness must be stopped, where will the line be drawn when all carriers of BT (badgers, foxes and weasels) have been wiped out?

• Rebecca DevittRebecca Devitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Culling is barbaric and utterly irresponsible. We cannot allow such an horrific act against any of our wildlife but particularly not against our largest, intelligent and social mammal. This madness must be stopped, where will the line be drawn when all carriers of BT (badgers, foxes and weasels) have been wiped out?

• Sharon PrymakaSharon Prymaka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a solution, these creatures should not be used as a scapegoat - find another way which does not include killing innocent animals, please!

• Neil JohnstonNeil Johnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Research is needed to prove that badgers are a TB problem. Without the research this ought to be illegal.

• M GardinerM Gardiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the past 2 years I get a pair come to my backdoor at my dinner time for theirs too! This has now grown to four little faces after they have had cubs. I live in a semi rural area where no farming takes place. Do I take it that suddenly these wonderfully trusting and innocent creatures will be at the risk of some idiot assuming that they must also be able to infect dogs or cats or horses or even small children too?? You know how small minded people get when someting is blown out of all proportion! I am powerless to protect them and it makes me sick!

• E. HarveyE. Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The worst part is, they KNOW it won't stop the disease. Landowners, politicians, all out to promote their own agenda. Scum.

• Wendé Anne MaunderWendé Anne Maunder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's so stupid (apart from being barbaric that is), BTB is rife in the countryside in loads of our native mammals, including deer. This terrible bacteria was probably introduced by farm cattle from unhygienic farms in the first place. Badgers are just scapegoats. It's wicked. What will they do about the other infected mammals? Cull the whole lot? This government is moronic and evil and possibly corrupt.

• B McqueenB Mcqueen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop the cull leave the badgers alone-this is immoral and unfair ...what;s the real reason behind this surely niot the badgers....

• B McqueenB Mcqueen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop the cull leave the badgers alone-this is immoral and unfair ...what;s the real reason behind this surely niot the badgers....

Feedback and Knowledge Base