I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop the internal trafficking of young people in the UK.

This is one of the real scandals of sex trafficking that is always ignored. British people are aware and outraged by the trafficking of children internationally, but we also need to address the issue of the internal sex trafficking of vulnerable young people within the UK. Unlike the external trafficking of people across international borders, internal trafficking is a hidden crime. Internal trafficking is a growing, but ignored or misunderstood crime in the UK and beyond. Few of us realise that some of the most vulnerable members of our own communities are being sexually exploited and trafficked from one city to another.
It is important to understand the sexual exploitation and movement of young people around our cities as Internal Trafficking because we all understand that sex trafficking is a crime. It makes it much clearer to see that young, sexually trafficked girls are the victims of a crime. It helps to change perceptions of these girls amongst the public, social workers and police who have often seen them as young prostitutes. It is also easier for the police to prosecute perpetrators under specific sex trafficking offences. I am a young woman who passionately feels that people must be aware of this horrific issue. It's happening right here, right now. You can help stop this crime.

492 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stella H KStella H K shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If some one gets 12 years for kidnap , and 7 years for rape,,,, Why are these people charged as that ????
        People trafficking is made to sound like an ancient way of life, or romantic.
        Perhaps we need a Fund set up, so that , even if the "Users" of these poor girls , tell the police where they are, even they get a payout !!, we need to think outside the box on this, its dreadful

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support this but;

Until someone can show how present and future goverments can gain from acting upon this I do see how you can expect the present government to get involved. Many of the victims of this do not vote even if they have the right to. It would appear the government has no reason to care.

• FrodoBakerFrodoBaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are actions in progress on this issue. As seen on Ch 4 recently. But much more needs to be done, a lot more!

• Camilla BornCamilla Born commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly support this campaign. After watching the amnesty award winning play 'Sold' at the Edinburgh Fringe this issue really came to the forefront of mind. It's not something I've ever really thought about before engaging with it through theatre but I now recognise how it's around me everyday. Sometimes we just need to open our eyes.

• Janelle WileyJanelle Wiley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this campaign. Trafficking is a huge problem in my area as well. It's a terrible crime.
        A couple of charities I know about, that fight human trafficking, are Shared Hope International and International Justice Mission.

• Nadia BalfeNadia Balfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you support this campaign and are in Edinburgh for the fringe festival at all this month, you may be interested in our devised play about human trafficking: 'SOLD' - www.soldplay.co.uk - Every morning at 11.10am at Pleasance Courtyard.

• Clare BainbridgeClare Bainbridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is an important issue which a lot of important men would prefer us not to think about. Just the sort of thing 38 degrees ought to be campaigning for in other words.

• wilma davidsonwilma davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

nearly one million children and young people are victims of this cruel trade each which has inspireed me to write Tears and Fears which is the first book published to contain chapters on so many subjects linked to sex abuse. Wilma Davidson

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this campaign. I would also like to see those who buy sex from trafficked women prosecuted and jailed as well as named and shamed. Ignorance should be no protection in this.

• Grant KeirGrant Keir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remember to vote for us if you sign in and post a comment!! Its the VOTE box up the page and slightly to the right of here... thanks!

• ANONANON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trafficking needs to be stopped, this isn't a topic that should be made light of it is a serious problem. If you're on the forum to make a joke about it, you know it is immoral so save your comments unless it is constructive. Raise awareness!

• David GrantDavid Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really important issue and deserves support. Many people fail to understand how the young and vulnerable fall victim to this kind of abuse, but it is happening all around us and requires compassion, support and action to change attitudes to this unfortunately widespread crime.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this campaign, trafficking is a terrible crime that must be stopped. So good to see a campaign raising awareness of this misunderstood issue. Well done.

• jujujuju commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

awareness needs to be raised so we can protect the vulnerable in our society

• Naz Naz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The littlle we can do can never be enough for victims of sex trafficking. You have my whole-hearted support for this campaign.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base