I suggest a campaign about ...

Campaign against the housing reforms

The housing reforms proposed could end up creating more homelessness and costing the tax payer more. The reforms need to be stopped and proper debate on what to do about household growth and housing. I am surprised that this has gone unoticed and that there are no more campaigns

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jenjen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Frances MulraneyFrances Mulraney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is outrageous that there are so many empty homes in the uk & yet so many desperate people needing decent housing. The issue on squatters rights needs to come into this campaign also. I firmly agree with Channel 4 highlighting this issue in their recent documentary (See: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-british-property-scandal/articles/about-the-campaign/ ) & feel strobgly that a national campaign to look at cutting through red tape & making more homes available by utelising & doing up the hundreds of thousands of empty houses we have. A campaign needs to be set up to look at the whole scandalous housing crisis that we have including: Empty Properties, Sqautting Laws, Second & Holiday homes, Buy-to-let schemes & low-cost funding.

• Verity SmartVerity Smart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Councils are increasing rents to 80% market price and the same time as benefit caps make it impossible to pay their rent. Now with councils house to be slashed for sale there will be little to now accessible rent for low income with now hope if ever buying. This will increase those in poverty and the homeless. The reform us an utter sham.

• Derek CondonDerek Condon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Affordable housing is not realistic under the present system. Private housing associations are being paid by the Government to build so-called "affordable housing" but this is a huge waste of taxpayer’s money. These housing associations are, in some cases, given existing property FREE; either from failed smaller housing associations or former council housing now being "privatised". This means that larger and larger housing associations are being formed which, though presently supposedly "not for profit", will no doubt float themselves on the stock market; just as soon as they consider themselves large enough to do so. These larger housing associations are anything but efficient, their procurement procedures are not providing better value, their services are not of better quality and they are all much, much more bureaucratic and pedantic.

The taxpayers money wasted on these “privatisations” would be much better spent on building council housing instead of so-called affordable housing. Affordable housing, as the name suggests, is built for sale; not necessarily for rental though some do belong to housing associations, at least until they decide to sell them that is. Affordable housing built for “shared equity” purposes are an even bigger illusion. First these properties are built, at nowhere near the actual price which will be charged by the housing associations that are in charge of these projects. It seems “normal” to charge whatever an estate agent guesses the new build property to be worth on the open market. However, if these are built to replace homes which for one reason or another some housing association deems substandard, the value of the former or pre-existing property, from which these homeowners are being placed into “shared equity”; are always more expensive than those they replace.

Want to know more? Then please contact me. I have considerable evidence on this issue which needs to be made public. Affordable housing is an illusion, as is the pretence of "not for profit charitable status" housing associations in the UK. One of the biggest and most disturbing scams I have ever even heard of.

• jenjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The campaign should ask for review of second homes and increasing Council tax on these, prehaps planning juristriction over such usage. Review and regulation of private rental market and the need for longer tennancy agreements to create more stable communities. U-turn on proposed changes to social housing which will cause ghetto estates and instability in the most vunerable communities and the proposed housing benefit cap. Real debate on how to provide affordable and decent housing for all is required.

Feedback and Knowledge Base