I suggest a campaign about ...

ban on throwing away food at shops

I was at tesco express earlier. It was about 10.30pm, the shop closed at 11pm. there were bags and bags of baked goods being thrown away. They hadn't even been reduced. Why can't this food be given to local homeless shelters? Or even sold at very low costs, the money being donated to charities that help feed starving third world countries? The entire idea of throwing out perfectly good food is completely preposterous.

419 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    amy reardonamy reardon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Captain ObviousCaptain Obvious commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm supporting your cause but already seen this somewhere else. Companies have to throw food out due to either company procedure or health & safety. For food to be passed on to a homeless shelter, then the company of whatever food product itis, has to sign an agreement with what ever shop is currently selling that item. As this costs money and is a complicated legal agreement, most superstores can't be bothered. I'll still sign mind.

• laura darlinglaura darling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a lot of places here in bristol give their food to a charity that feeds the homeless, its a fantastic scheme and EVERYwhere should do it...! makes perfect sence! well done amy! x

• Sam GwilliamSam Gwilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a sad state of affairs that they'd rather throw it away than give it away for free or sell it at a loss. I'm sure it's still perfectly good to eat at the time.

• Steve LlewSteve Llew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with you, the amount of food being wasted is obscene! These big franchises need to wise up and do something productive with what they consider waste as im sure many homeless shelters and other charity organisations can do alot to help benefit many people with it. Good luck amy!

• Sueli De CarvalhoSueli De Carvalho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Amy, i agree with what you are fighting for!!! i think it is about time some one does something about it. and whistle on the subject... what about food in restaurants and the wast of food they go through??? God bless xxx

• Ricardo PitéRicardo Pité commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with you Amy. If this is a way to do things to make someone big in Tesco or other shops to listen, so then u got all my approval.

Peace
        Ricardo Pité
        Zeitgeist Cardiff

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base