I suggest a campaign about ...

ban on throwing away food at shops

I was at tesco express earlier. It was about 10.30pm, the shop closed at 11pm. there were bags and bags of baked goods being thrown away. They hadn't even been reduced. Why can't this food be given to local homeless shelters? Or even sold at very low costs, the money being donated to charities that help feed starving third world countries? The entire idea of throwing out perfectly good food is completely preposterous.

421 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    amy reardonamy reardon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BarryBarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Bill. Where's the incentive for people to better themselves if everything is free. I've worked all my life to put food on the table, why should the druggies and tramps have it any different - they could at least show a bit of initiative and offer blowjobs for change, or something like that.

• billbill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bollocks, why should people get free food? Let them get a bloody job, earn money and buy it, damm freeloaders, havent we got enough spongers allready, it would just turn out to be a load of tramps and druggies hanging around the supermarket at closing time, I would rather the food went to a pig farmer or similar!

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Supermarkets should be under an obligation not to throw away perfectly good food. There should be financial penalties for doing so. That may encourage them to order less, sell at lower prices or donate to the homeless etc.

• RMBRMB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The food should be available to whoever wants it. Provided they understand the health and safety implications, of course.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Supermarkets did not throw out so much food and produce so much packaging, we wouldn't have this problem over landfill and we in King's Lynn,Norfolk would not be fighting Norwich County Council over an incinerator to burn it all! Incinerators give off toxic cancerous particulates. 65,515 people voted against it, yet our democratic voices have been ignored. Its about time supermarkets helped by not throwing out perfectly good food. We are currently No. 3 in the campaign. This problem needs to go national

• LemsipLemsip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't they used to do this back in the 70's and 80's until Health and Safety legislation banned it?

• LemsipLemsip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And they don't even let people raid their bins for thrown out food still edible.

• amy reardonamy reardon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

anonymous. very true. there are many issues that would need to be reviewed! But it doesn't mean that this should be swept under the carpet or going on at all. thanks for your attention/vote :)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a nice notion. I don't agree with legislating to force it, that shouldn't be necessary as it has great PR value. But I think a change in H&S laws would be necessary. At the moment, what would happen if a retailer gave away food close to a sell by date (particularly to people who may not have access to a cooker, or were illiterate) is that sooner or later someone would get ill and sue the retailer. And under the ludicrous litigation environment we have, they would win. Then ambulance-chasing solicitors would star rounding up homeless people and persuading them to bring fictional cases and blackmail the retailers into paying out small settlements because hey, it's cheaper than mounting a defence.

• shazzershazzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree with you, the homeless shelters etc would appreciate any food, so would the homeless

• bethbeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i seem to have aquired the name " beth" now by signing in with facebook:/ anyways Jasamine that is ridiculous "theft by finding" what's the world coming to.

Feedback and Knowledge Base