I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the Bailiffs.

Councils are using Bailiffs to create turmoil to hundreds of thousands of families up and down the country.
This outdated practse can be replaced by using different agencies such as the CAB to speak to those in financial hardship.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JPJP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are new laws coming in soon to stop the bailiffs being the bully boys they are now, the thing is how do you make people responsible for their debts, there are a lot of people who refuse to pay their council tax but still want their bin emptying, street lights, library's etc and bringing in the bailiffs is the only way to make them pay, these type of people would not respond to a nice debt advisor from CAB. Sorry to be blunt.

• LeeLee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too right! Bailiffs just cause people in financial difficulty to go to extreme measures to get money they haven't got which often gets them into more debt and more stress. The stress, financial difficulties and sheer embarrassment I've endured at the hands of bailiffs is more than enough for one family man to deal with. It's Outdated and just a legal way to intimidate people to pay money they clearly haven't got and the sooner bailiffs are "banned" the better for everyone

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have personal experience with bailiffs. Financial hardship, as people have said, is not nice. Although I've lost hundreds of pounds to bailiffs in debts I never owed all because they refuse to listen and they seem to be above the law. This kind of practice ought to be illegal.

• Annmarie WebsterAnnmarie Webster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are lots of ways agencies like Community Advice Services and Citizens Advice Bureau can help people with debt. The only people that get rich from this is the bailiff company. Having Bailiffs at your door is very distressing and causes a great deal of additional financial hardship. It is time to put an end to these outdated methods of debt collection!!!!

• Vanessa OsborneVanessa Osborne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If people have genuine probles meeting their rent and council tax bills, councils make matters worse help and support should be the practice not more debt and financial destruction!

• JPJP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only one person benefits from the use of Bailiffs and that is the Bailiff themselves, the stress it causes vulnerable families is nowhere near the financial gain to Councils who pay Millions to Bailiffs every year.

Feedback and Knowledge Base