I suggest a campaign about ...

Gove: Give Bac choice to children

Through the introduction of the E-Bac, Michael Gove has dramatically altered our children’s education.

By leaving out subjects like RE, Music, Art, Drama ICT, Business Studies and Design Technology from the new performance measure, creativity and diversity in the curriculum are being eroded, and children in many schools are being dissuaded from taking these subjects up to GCSE level. Instead, they are being strongly persuaded to take those subjects that will help schools to “look good” in the new E-Bac “league tables”. Consequently, the richness of our children’s education is now in danger of being severely compromised.

Following the work of the “Better Bac” coalition, (http://abetterbaccalaureate.org), Archbishop Sentamu Academy believes that any overarching qualification should be inclusive, aspirational and personalised. It should also prepare our children for further study and the workplace, fully equipped to take their place in society.

We have therefore launched “The Modern Baccalaureate” as an alternative to Mr. Gove’s E-Bac. Full details can be found on our web-site:

www.modernbaccalaureate.com

We are now inviting schools to join us in refining and developing the award over the next 12 months (see website), pending general release for September 2012.

We would also like everyone who believes the E-Bac to be a flawed concept to join us in asking the government to pause, reflect, consult with the Profession, and support the development of a more modern baccalaureate – because our children deserve better.

544 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew ChubbAndrew Chubb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Clare RobertsClare Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can 38 degrees put together all the votes for various campaigns against Michael Gove and his reforms, in fact even all the campaigns re Education. Counted all together these campaign suggestions have many common themes and lots of votes. Now that 38 degrees has made itself heard on the NHS debate, it is important to act now on Education.

• Anne RogowskiAnne Rogowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would support the Mod -Bacc as this will be more inclusive to children who we are trying to re-engage with education. They are often the ones who are able to demonstrate a wide range of technical skills and they should not be made to feel that they are excluded. Pupil referral units will be better able to support a Mod Bacc.

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dont let this happen or kids will suffer even more that they allready do

• Jane DaviesJane Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it that whichever party is in power they cannot resist messing around the education system?
        It is always the kids who suffer.
        I have 1 vote left so this cause can have it.
        Please use your other votes for other campaigns, my campaign is to stop the discrimination of state pensioners who have their pensions frozen because they retire to the "wrong country".

• olicavolicav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An elegant, well-designed and flexible approach that is both aspirational and inclusive. Bravo!

• Liz HankinLiz Hankin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope that you get the support that this deserves. As someone trying hard to keep innovation and creativity within school curriculum and pupil lives I'd like to offer whatever support I can. As an ex-teacher of Art, I cannot imagine a world without the potential of discovering new Leonardo da Vinci's......Art and Maths din't harm him did it!

• Pippa SweeneyPippa Sweeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A really excellent alternative to the E-Bac. I hate to think of a future where Music, Art and Drama have been scaled back in any way. In addition, how can some of the other subjects, such as Business Studies, not be part of our modern world?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base