I suggest a campaign about ...

Save Careers and Connexions Services

Unemployment amongst 16 to 25 year olds in the UK has reached record levels with more than a million young people struggling to find work; yet, following cuts to the Connexions service, thousands of young people across the UK now have either very limited or no access to face-to-face career guidance, a situation caused directly by the Government's decision to place the statutory duty to ensure impartial careers guidance on schools, who have been given no additional funds to deliver such important services; and calls on the Government to reverse its policy and instead to provide sufficient funding to the Careers and Connexions Service to help our young people plan and organise their futures.

508 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mike davbrumboymike davbrumboy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

112 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Elaine McCullochElaine McCulloch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been lucky enough to secure employment since being axed as a Connexions Adviser, finding apprenticeships for young people. I have 10 construction apprenticeships to fill -HOW do you get access to young people in the Summer holidays with no careers service ? I have called all the schools and colleges and they dont want to know as they want to keep their students. I understand the need for change - but to have no service at all - madness !

• Elaine McCullochElaine McCulloch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been lucky enough to secure employment since being axed as a Connexions Adviser, finding apprenticeships for young people. I have 10 construction apprenticeships to fill -HOW do you get access to young people in the Summer holidays with no careers service ? I have called all the schools and colleges and they dont want to know as they want to keep their students. I understand the need for change - but to have no service at all - madness !

• Gillian CottonGillian Cotton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Young people need face to face as it is important to read body language, have a comfortable interviewing environment etc. It is unfair that the government's plan is to offer face-to-face to 19+ only - where is the equal opportunities for the 13-19's? The service in our area has already been halved and this year's school leavers are already feeling the adverse effects of this. It is beyond belief that the government finds this acceptable, and refuses to give local authorities and schools a stronger direction, and funding to provide the service.

• Janet DukeJanet Duke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most people - young or old - make better decisions if they can talk their ideas over with someone face to face. To lose all the expertise and inter agency working gained from the Connexions Service is yet another prop lost not only for the most vulnerable people but everybody facing decisions about their future.

• Clare DaviesClare Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are going to be a lot of 'lost' young people out there without the support of Connexions

• jason barkerjason barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This campaign is.entirely unnecessary, the connexions service is a drain on funds compared to what it actually achieved. kids go there at lunch times on rainy days just for something to do, its actually a very small amount of people who actually use this pointless service anyway. they dont help in finding employment, anymore than a local job centre would, and all they do is tell you how to fill out an entirely self explanatory job application form (which any form tutor/mentor could do). They have no proper links to secured jobs and so are a huge drain on funds as they do not actually serve the purpose they were intended for.

• Liane HamblyLiane Hambly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People just don't get what guidance entails/ think it's just about giving information. To fulfill their potential people need motivation, confidence, resilience, positive thinking, the ability to navigate uncertainty and make sense of the wealth of information out there (etc). I've yet to see a web-site that can help people do all that. I've heard clients say 'that changed my life'. I wonder if anyone has heard them say that about a web-site? I'm not dismissing ICT as I think they're great when blended with person-to-person services but this government seems to think they're sufficient on their own.

• Amanda WickensAmanda Wickens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Young people need support and careers guidance to be able to meet their potential. This is now a postcode lottery, which does not help with our unequal society. The people who are making these decisions have more information and more contacts that help their young people have an advantage in the employment market and getting into university. And they are trying to tell us that they want to widen participation and promote equality! Simon Hughes can you explain this to me? What a mess!

• Barbara HurrellBarbara Hurrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the medical profession had been all but wiped out, people would be complaining about the lack of adequte healthcare. No access to impartial Advice & Guidance is not life threatening although it affects the quality of young people's lives we are dealing with on a daily basis and is an investment in our future economy,prosperity and overall well being.

• Tina RocheTina Roche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These cuts are are having a real impact on young people and those who are qualified Careers Advisers. The profession is being desimated and may never recover. We are going to have a lost generation of young people because the government could not get its act together or care about the future of young people.

• LesleyLesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is part of the government's strategy to reduce public services and give more autonomy to schools. It ignores the fact that schools have a vested interest in not giving impartial advice (to keep up numbers in their 6th forms and increase numbers applying to HE). It manages to be both idealogical and cynical at the same time.

• Bridget MayBridget May commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cuts already made to Connexions are causing real hardship to young people in our area . The lack of support and guidance to young people as a result means that they face greater difficulties in the future and will need access to impartial guidance and support .

• Bridget MayBridget May commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cuts already made to Connexions are causing real hardship to young people in our area . The lack of support and guidance to young people as a result means that they face greater difficulties in the future and will need access to impartial guidance and support .

• Kellie SparkesKellie Sparkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cuts to the Service provided for young people is so short-sighted and damaging to the long term wellbeing of young people. All young people, need access to impartial advice and guidance provided by a qualified professional.

• Denise BertuchiDenise Bertuchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government actions both by the cuts to the service and the lack of leadership and direction on the future of the careers service is social vandalism. The cuts to the careers service are the highest of any public service at a time when youth unemployment is at its highest. They cut EMA,Further Education,Higher Education, Sure Start,Children's Centres and triple the tuition fees for Higher Education. The threat of a lost generation of young people looms large. The dangers this poses to our society as a whole are huge – unemployment, poorer health, higher crime and social breakdown.

At the same time as many local authorities are decimating the Careers and Connexions Service, unemployment among 16-25 year olds has reached record levels, with more than a million young people struggling to find work. Just when they need it most, hundreds of thousands of young people across England will have either very limited, or even no access to ‘face-to-face’ career guidance. Unless Ministers intervene, the class of 2011 and 2012 will be the least informed about their career options. The government needs to act, to make those local authorities who are flouting their statutory duties to stop the Connexions cuts, and give young people a chance. The time is running out. Ministers plan an all-age Careers Service from 2012, but its foundations are rapidly becoming sand – quicksand.

• Abigail ScottAbigail Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree totally with so many of the comments here about the decimation of the careers and Connexions services by this government. I work in the HE sector and we are already starting to see the result of the lack of careers guidance available for young people taking HE courses. Many are considering dropping out and have had no discussions about future plans with anyone other than teachers who are not careers guidance practitioners or experts in this field. It is very sad, especially given how much money they may have invested already in their degree course.

The Coalition need to urgently rethink their plans for careers guidance in schools. We know schools are unlikely to invest money where they feel they can make savings given cuts to their own budgets. Careers guidance and other vital support services such as preventative work with vulnerable families will be the casualties here - all impacting of course on young people. MPs need to wake up soon or this will turn into a real crisis.

• Clare HodgesClare Hodges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

websites are all very well for researching and gathering information but sometimes young people need to speak to someone, who has local knowledge, to make sense of it all. Guidance advisers will also explore what is right for that particular person and help them to consider other options which they may not have thought about. The Connexions Centre provided an extremely useful contact point for young people and their parents, somewhere they could trust and be confident could offer them free impartial advice and support.

• karenkaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

young people need advice face to face- who will be there to discuss local employment opportunities, september guareentee and Apprenticeship amonst the CAF/Tacs, homeless, school non attenders and young parents?

Feedback and Knowledge Base