I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent the break-up of the state school system into Academies

Currently most schools work as part of the Local Authority. This is led by elected councillors.
Michael Gove, the Education Secretary wants all schools to become Academies which are independent and unaccountable to the public. The only extra money available for schools that opt to become academies will be taken from money the local authority holds centrally for support services. Each new academy will get its share of this money and the central fund will be reduced accordingly.
This has a huge detrimental effect on the remaining schools which do not convert - mainly primary schools.
The research shows that these Academies are failing disadvantaged children while not improving results for other students. Exclusions are 3 times higher in Academies than state-maintained schools, and % of childen eligible for free school meals is much lower, as Academies choose their own admissions policy and choose children from wealthier neighbourhoods.
Schools have no experience of running their own business and yet this is what they will be expected to do. They will have to employ business managers at much greater expense than the current system where experienced council employees manage schools.
This results in the break-up of the current state education system which clearly works well as we are in the top 20 education systems in the world - unlike the USA or Sweden which have similar privatised systems to the proposed Academy system here. Please save the current system for all future generations.

209 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alan MooreAlan Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Les TurnerLes Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Schools are now being forced to become academies against the wishes of Governors, Parents, Staff and the Wider Local Community. Is this democracy at work?

• Clare RobertsClare Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can 38 degrees put together all the votes for various campaigns against Michael Gove and his reforms, in fact even all the campaigns re Education. Counted all together these campaign suggestions have many common themes and lots of votes. Now that 38 degrees has made itself heard on the NHS debate, it is important to act now on Education.

• Pauline HudsonPauline Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new OFSTED framework makes it virtually impossible for schools to pass. When they fail they are supposed to become acadamies. If the governing body disagrees Gove sacks them and takes over.Then Gove makes them become Acadamies. . Is this parent power? Is this democracy. After 5 years of this government we will have a broken health service. Private scools and a private police force. We need to act now on all these fronts. a big job but we can do it.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that the government is finding whatever way they can to make primary schools into academies - first it was high achieving schools, then lower achieving schools, and now 'satisfactory'-rated schools - ie all of them! It seems that ALL primaries will be academies by 2015 - all without wide public knowledge or debate. How will private companies raise standards in schools ? It will actually make it worse by forcing schools to push through change, instead of concentrating on raising results. And if a school makes a fuss - as in a few high profile cases - the governors and head are often removed, thereby taking away the spirit of the school. It seems as if your school is affected, it might be best to keep quiet and say nothing, and just try to focus on getting the best sponsor you can - ie give in. How undemocratic is that? It's only by acting together that we can make a difference and at the very least highlight the fact that our education system is being forcibly privatised, right under our noses. I agree with the petition about the NHS, but this issue has equal significance.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the evidence says that 'competition' is bad for children's education yet still they persist in pushing for 'parental choice' - which is actually a non-starter as one parent's choice is another's lack of choice - and autonomy: the only autonomy is for the transnational companies who are setting up the chains of academies to make money from the education of our children. At local level the consequences can be disastrous, as free schools poach students from local primaries skewing their finances and making it unviable to function. It is a short-termist nightmare scenario predicated on an uninformed free-market approach as unsuited to education as it is to the NHS. We must fight it.

• Nick ONick O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our area the NASUWT has taken the unusual step of appealing directly to the local community for support in their campaign against Academy status for a local science college. There have been door-to-door leaflettings and there is to be a Facebook page ( Save Heanor Gate Science College ) and a petition ( www.ipetitions.com/petition/no_heanor_gate_academy ).

Hopefully these will be online soon if they aren`t already.

• Huguette HopkinsonHuguette Hopkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly object too. I think it is a big mistake to have one person (the Head teacher) so powerful. The second most powerful person is the business manager which should not be the case in a school. I feel that pupils are lost in the equation.

• SharikaSharika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's concerning that with the move to academies thay are removing parental input from Governing Bodies, which can be vital. The idea that you would have to apply for a position on a Governing Body will make the positions elitist and deter a lot of people from getting involved. If we want to improve results what we need are smaller classes and more staff.

• gary colmangary colman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

where i live (hackney, london) there are currently no non-denominational state secondary schools. there is now a proposal to build a new secondary school. however the choice is between a new academy or a new 'free school'. the choice of state school is not even being offered. i have only just discovered that under michael groves current education bill all new schools MUST be either academies or free schools. no more new state schools to be opened. there is no discussion of this bill in the media. state education is being dismantelled covertly.

• HelenHelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a hugely worrying development and one that the government seems to be progressing with by stealth, shielded by other higher profile stories - such as the NHS and the ban on Circus Animals, to quote two that are currently being championed by 38 Degrees. While I also support both of those campaigns, I am really worried about the quality of education available to our children in the future. To equate poor results with poor teaching and/or under-performing schools is to miss the point entirely and to redirect funding in such an extreme way is absolutely not the way to improve outcomes for students - which should be the main concern.

• AMTAMT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is essential that we all sit up and take notice with regard to what is happening to our education system. Its not just Academies that are threatening it, its so called "free schools" that will erode a local authorities ability to provide for our most needy children. I have voted against the NHS proposals and feel that to fight these educational changes that aren't just proposed but actually happening now is an equally important campaign as I have no faith in our current government and the current Education secretaries understanding and knowledge. His proposals, like the NHS ones, are ill thought out and being pushed through.
        Gove is quoted in a local newspaper as saying that "local educational institutions will need to “step up” their game" following the introduction of a pioneering free school, the secretary of state said yesterday.
        We all need to stop and consider the impact all this will have on generations to come.

• Janet MaddisonJanet Maddison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just sent an email expressing my concerns about proposed changes to the NHS along with over 400,000 other people, yet it seems to me that similar changes are occuring quietly in the education system with hardly a murmur of protest. Although on the face of it conversion to academy status may seem attractive to individual schools as a short term solution to under-funding, the long-term consequences are very worrying: the erosion of council services, the increase in private commissioning and the potential for increasing inequalities. Please vote for this campaign and encourage an open debate

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base