I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop the govt's plans to adopt "fracking"

The govt has granted licenses to drill using "fracking" and intends to issue more by the end of the year. There has been little, if any, unbiased information published on this, despite the many cases of long term damage to the environment and severe health problems in those areas in the US where fracking is used.In Blackpool, things are moving ahead quickly, yet the concerns of the local community are not being taken seriously. The government appears to be soldiering on, yet again, without properly exploring the issue or being open and transparent. I suspect they hope to implement the process before it becomes a high profile public issue. Fracking is not a process that we should accept without proper debate and unbiased scientific opinion. Take a look at the docu-film "Gaslands" which is a "warts and all" look at the impact of fracking in the US. It kills... literally.

725 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Maccs PescatoreMaccs Pescatore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom G.Tom G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We urgently need an overall anti-fracking campaign. Please 38 Degrees.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A campaign is urgently needed to prevent untold damage to our environment. More public awareness of the issues and just what is at stake here are needed if we are not to sleepwalk towards an environmental disaster. Full details of the bribes given by 'fracking' companies to government should be exposed. Problems of regulation - just how would this occur? Who do we have in the country sufficiently qualified to set up a regulatory system? According to government, people are in favour of 'tracking'. Well, are they? What happens to long term strategies for sustainable, renewable energy sources if we adopt a short term, potentially disastrous, solution? Please let us act now. Let us not be complacent.

• MaggieMaggie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About 750 chemicals have been listed as additives for hydraulic fracturing in a report to the U.S. Congress in 2011. A 2010 EPA study "discovered contaminants in drinking water including: arsenic, copper, vanadium, and adamantanes (a colorless, crystalline chemical compound with a camphor-like odor, C10H16) adjacent to drilling operations which can cause illnesses including cancer, kidney failure, anaemia and fertility problems".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we urgently need a unified petition. Fracking is dangerous, toxic and stupid. Please help our earth,its people,the animal kingom and the environment.

• Judith DenningJudith Denning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very dangerous. Natural aquifiers, caverns of water which come into use when there is a drought, can be poisoned by gas and oil to the detriment of the water supply. Earth tremors could seep waste into underground streams etc. Quadrilla will make millions if successful, Balcombe residents will also get rich. WHY does the tax payer have to pay the police? Surely Quadrilla and the residents should do so. We are saving so much of taxpayers money cutting disabled peoples allowences etc., when do the rebates start? East Sussex BBC reportage terribly biased.

• Ross StanfordRoss Stanford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need 38 degrees to take up this campaign as quickly as possible, I think there is a lot of scope in this campaign. Not only due to the process itself, but also the way fracking is being promoted in the tabloids by the government and the apparent side-stepping of the proper process in which drill permits are granted. Exploratory drilling is due to start in Balcombe on Saturday (26th July).

• P F PerkinP F Perkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. Fracking is not the way forward to solve our energy needs.

I hope you will support my proposal on Cheap Clean Energy after you read it.

Fracking poses a wide range of potentially harmful risks to health, housing and environment.

Without consent, regions of the UK have been "licensed off" (i.e. sold) to private companies - outrageous!

Act before it's too late and halt fracking.

Dear government: please come up with a sensible energy policy. Not one built upon untested & dangerous and environmentally-unfriendly procedures such as fracking.

Why don't we keep on fracking and cause a nuclear disaster at Sellerfield or earthquakes all over Cumbria, that would liven up 2013. There can be no reason whatsoever to continue this practice in England. The more you think about it the more horrific it gets. We should all be very frightened.

• S.K. BillingsS.K. Billings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone researched the effect that the chemicals used fracking have on farmland? What does it do to the crops that are grown in the area and how does it affect trees?

• Chris Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please 38 Degrees, pick up the baton on this issue now before it is too late! I will even make a donation.

• Donnaa DamzelleDonnaa Damzelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

since when does the lib cons listen to us! not only are they okaying fracking their allowing planners to build over masses of agricultural land and green spaces, with fracking and this, our green and pleasant land will resemble a coal tip, thus ruining our health as well as mother natures

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe this is hapening. Blow the earth apart with water/chemicals to get more gas to blow the ozone layer apart. It isn't even going to be cheap, unles the gas companies sell it to us at less than free market rates. ot holding my breath.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base