I suggest a campaign about ...

Sri Lankan war crimes must be prosecuted

The Government of Sri Lanka is contesting a report by the United Nations which reveals that tens of thousands of civilians died in its final offensive to end the country's civil war two years ago. Most of them were killed by government shelling which targeted hospitals and UN and Red Cross centres, a UN panel of experts has found. The acts were war crimes, the report says. But the government insists it can prove it never targeted civilians.

There is a simple way to resolve this. The international authorities should lay charges, before an international war crimes tribunal, to answer what the UN calls "credible allegations".

215 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Saraniya ThayaparanSaraniya Thayaparan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The actions of many governments at different times has and will be deplorable I can't argue wih that and wouldn't.

But what gives one country or indeed a collection of countries the right to judge what is or has taken place in another. It always seems to me that it is the well off (so called civilised modern democracys) that want to do the judging of much smaller less powerfull nations.

What is said about the genocide carried out by the UK of the native australian people or by the US government of their indigenous peoples?

That aside when will people learn. We (our governments) only care when Oil is involved.

Stop messing about have an independent UN aswerable to no state that acts swiftly and harshly on any and all violations of human rights. Do not under estimate what this could mean though. Tanks rumbling through suburbia because Geralidine Arkwright can't always park outside her own terraced house when there is a local football match. The White House nuked because Wyatt Smith can't have a cigarette in the local park in California.

• Yathushan SivarajahYathushan Sivarajah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be honest, I feel we really need to relook at what we call the international justice system. No one is above the law. However, in the case of geo politics Israel is exempt as America feels that need support and a presence in middle eastern politics. In the same way that North Korea & Iran are capable of carrying out their nuclear activities without any real threats from China or Russia. As in this current world political allies mean much more than the suffering of innocents. I feel that maybe instead this is a serious issue of the UN just like the League of Nations before. I think it is time that the nations of the world re look at what they are doing to world civilians.

• Gordon ClackGordon Clack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What we must realise is that only German, Japanese, Serbian and now Libyans are charged with war-crimes. The Israelis have immunity just as they have immunity from UN resolutions and International Law. The US will not press for action over atrocities in Stri Lanka because that would mean recognising the International Criminal Court and they don't want to do that do they because it might mean Americans being charged.

• Gaya MurugathasGaya Murugathas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The United Nations can no longer stand on the fence as "taking a neutral stand to injustice, is taking the side of the oppressor" and therefore must act now if to maintain any faith that the citizens of the world hold in the organisation. Those that have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity must be charged and held accountable, for the good of Sri Lanka and the international community. Only then can Sri Lanka and all it's people begin to heal and move forward and rebuild the amazing country I once knew.

• SALISALI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Music stirs emotion. The west sold arms, then ignored the genocide. People need to care about the corrupt system they feed. so when they assume power they'll do right.

2 songs about the Sri Lankan-World problem. if they influence people, (instead of music vids about tits and arse), humanity might deserve its name.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfYwHQoe6u8&feature=related

• Matt FinucaneMatt Finucane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see no reason as to how this can go about ignored for such a long time. I wish we lived in a moral world in which this would be unacceptable and all guilty would be arrested instantaneously. I only hope with this vote we get a little closer to that world.

• SqueakinglyJenSqueakinglyJen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The FCO said: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-news/?view=News&id=615115382, which is very vague and doesn't suggest they are going to press for an ICC trial etc. But it should make it easier to hold them to account on this, since they have accepted the problem.

Journalists are often killed - http://www.thesundayleader.lk/20090111/editorial-.htm - which is why there has not been enough coverage of this...

The targetting of hospitals and the strong evidence suggesting systematic rape and murder calls for action.

See last night's Channel 4 documentary here: http://bit.ly/m84RhF

• Navaratnam ParamakumaranNavaratnam Paramakumaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until these criminals are punished there won't be peace and the next generation from the Tamil Diaspora community will fight back with a vengence. International Communities must prosecute these criminals in order to go forward. Tamil National Council - TNC. United Kingdom.

• GeethanaGeethana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something finally must be done about the ongoing war crimes. The UN need to open their eyes on this situation immediately....this war has gone unnoticed for too long!

• Pavi VemaleswaranPavi Vemaleswaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tens of thousands of innocent civilians were brutally murdered. The people responsible for this must be brought to justice. An international war crimes investigation needs to take place! The war criminals need to be punished!

• GowsiGowsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Send them War-criminals to Where they deserve! Help Bring justice to Tamils.!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base