I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

5,998 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

965 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven McSwanSteven McSwan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A hugely important issue. As a resident in one of the affected areas, I wonder what measures are in place when it all goes horribly wrong? Will Cuadrilla be made to clear up the mess they leave? WIll the current government actually do anything apart from a toothless enquiry? Will the local community(ies) be left to pick up the pieces? I know where my money is.

• Rachel SleighhtolmRachel Sleighhtolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be stopped.....people in power are very well aware that there are ways of harnessing free energy for the use of everybody without this unecessary destabilisation of our country and Mother Earth.

• Dawn BlakewayDawn Blakeway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the biggest source of power above our heads - the Sun. This amazing ball of energy is not being fully exploited to power our planet.. There is no case for fracking anywhere on our fragile, beautiful Earth. The amount of damage both ecologically and potential threat to all life is horrific. We are supposed to be moving forward to using cleaner energy sources. This is yet another backwards step being given the green light by selfish, greedy politicians. Perhaps we should be trying a little harder to give the Green Party a fighting chance?

• ChantalChantal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After researching the toxic results of already existing Hydraulic fracturing sites around the world, I'm shocked, disgusted and frightened that the UK government would consider putting the lives of thousands of people's health at risk. I would rather suffer higher bills costs than ill-health. It's a saddening thought contemplating the destruction of the beautiful UK's prided landscapes also. Everybody please unite on this. Hydraulic fracturing should not be pursued until it's leaking toxic waste issue is resolved and the whole 'fracking' process can guarantee 100% safety to all living creatures.

• RodRod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has more support than the other suggestions on fracking; let's unite behind it. We need a 38 Degrees campaign now!

• James MooreJames Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a grandfarther I am concerned about the future power supplies in this country but have grave reservations on the question of fracking in the North-West of England while at this moment there are proposals to build a huge underground Nuclear Waste Dump in Cumbria. Has anybody considered that these two actions are totally incompatable in regard to the possible effects of one causing severe and fatal damage to the other, possibly contaminating all the North West for centuries.

• Geralyn McCarronGeralyn McCarron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most important health and environmental issue in at least a generation. Please, 38 degrees, take this campaign on board.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No to fracking. It's insane. See the movie Gasland on Youtube for evidence. This is a wild idea initiated by US political villains Dick Cheney and Donald Rumpsfeld (Cheney is the boss of Halliburton)

• Maurice SpurwayMaurice Spurway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not just ecocide, but also species suicide (The species being homo sapiens). If we were to burn all the fossil fuels we know about, that could in itself fry the planet 5 times over. But add in all the shale gas, and we are talking serious overkill.

How can our political leaders be so stupid. Yes, there's £1.5 trillion worth of shale gas below our feet. But we can't burn it. That would be playing with fire.
        (Once again it's the power of money over common sense)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

stop FRACKING in the UK altogether. It is dangerous, environmentally and economically unsound.

• HenryHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone spared a thought for the fact that Fracturing or fracking will potentially destabilise the earths crust ?why cant we stop being so bloody greedy and use our fantsatic brains to find a real, polution free alternative to the looming energy crisis allow our children, grandchildren and future to enjoy life as we have!

• RAFFRAFF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those of us who live in west Lancashire are living with this madness on a day-to-day basis. We are already living with the consequences of two failed wells. RAFF - Residents Action on Fylde Fracking (stopfyldefracking.org.uk) is fighting it every step of the way. Please support us - please visit our What Can You Do page and take action.

• p.leep.lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The gov say strict measures to stop neg affects water contamination earthquakes etc, well b####x we may have naturally occurring seismic activity but that does not give them the right to potentially cause more.I for one have had a gut full of our so called leaders who are our servants giving us the finger treating us like t---s and doing what they want regardless of what we the people want. I will put myself physically in front of this madness in protest at any time I am able to,,,they really make me want to puke....sorry but they do...

• Lizzie CornishLizzie Cornish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is our Children's Future which is being 'played' with here. We are NOT in touch with Mother Earth in this country, having become totally disconnected. Water is SACRED as is the planet upon which we live. If we continue down this Path of Insanity, our children and theirs and theirs and theirs, will have NO future. ONE Species is destroying the ability of ALL others to live upon Earth and that is US. These people do NOT have the right to be doing this to OUR Planet, to OUR Children and we need to wake EVERYONE UP...FAST!! Idle No More! ENOUGH!

1 2 6 8 10 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base