I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

6,006 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

966 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Maxine TempleMaxine Temple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The need for green sustainable energy should be high on our list of priorities,
        not trying to chase the last little bit of gas and oil that we have left by digging
        up and wrecking what's left of our planet! Greed driven insanity as usual.

• Mary Rose LyonsMary Rose Lyons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all the commentaries I have read whole heartedly and wish to submit a plea along with others,when will we learn to respect and care for this earth of ours and stop meddling with the delicate balance of nature.The governments of our day seem to be hell bent on the exploitation of this world as opposed to cherishing and preserving those forces that preserve the life of our planet.

• tashtash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fracking should not go ahead. It is mad, bad and sad. There is too much at risk to go ahead.

• Diz HellerDiz Heller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After having been taxed for decades and paying higher prices for petrol and other goods "for the protection of the environment" and for "climate change" and whatnot, it seems like an 180º about turn, suddenly to go and deliberately poison the ground and large tracts of land, including ground water, our most precious life-sustaining resource - this seems like utter insanity!
        This MUST be investigated and studied for long-term consequences by INDEPENDENT scientist! For, once it is done, it cannot be "put right" again...

• Twigs lironiTwigs lironi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there no end to our lack of imagination that cannot provide more creative , clean and sustainable methods to live our lives. Another bad idea from planet human.

• Julie WithersJulie Withers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a national & global issue, as well as a local one. We cannot, & I personally will not, allow this to happen - all this destruction & for what? For a handful of already wealthy people to make more £££... And to delay the bursting of the economic bubble for a short time. As far as I can see, these are the only beneficiaries.

• etet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we have to stop this process for the sake of our children and their future

• AnnaAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than solve problems, fracking will create more and greater ones, some of which have long lasting effects on our health and the environment. Once we start poisoning our water supplies our highly prized energy independence will be our smallest problem!!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I want Cuadrilla to be STOPPED NOW!!!!!! It's mindless profiteering ultimately at our expense.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fresh water is quite simply the most precious commodity on earth. Jeopardise this and you jeopardise humanity. Don't be fracking stupid!

• RogerRoger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that we know far too little about the results of fracking.

Sadly, in America the fracking industry has maintained a screen of secrecy around their work and the results which does nothing to instil confidence in the technology.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there is a dire need here.. nothing could be more idiotic than destroying our ground water for a quick profit

• KayKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a terrible distraction from renewable energy, it's a short fix, in the meantime it raises our global temperature with devastating effects on the planet. We can not compare ourselves to the US Mr Cameron, we are a tiny heavily populated country with few areas of outstanding natural beauty left.

• sarahsarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Balcombe is being threatened by Cuadrilla who have planning permission already for a week of exploratory drilling. Please vote.

Feedback and Knowledge Base