I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

5,998 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

965 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MarinaMarina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

• Dr Jane BrunningDr Jane Brunning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fracking is too risky to our most precious resource - our water. We CANNOT afford to take any chances. If those chemicals contaminate our groundwater supplies we are fracked.

• Andrea LaceAndrea Lace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do not want this, we do not need it and there will be no UK left for our children or wildlife that is habitable, if we let this happen now!

• Chris BChris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the list of exciting chemicals (including tolurene) which are used alongside the pressurised water. Shame they have chosen to keep the list secret - no chance of these getting into the groundwater??

• J Munro-NaanJ Munro-Naan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the fact that our government can even be considering this as a safe medium of energy angers me, they just don't care about the lives in their hands!

• Rob TelfordRob Telford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really serious issue which is about public health and safety before any narrow environmental ideological agenda (although it fits the bill there too!). The film "Gasland" is worth watching to see the true devastating health impacts on those who have hydraulic fracturing mines near to their homes.

• Graham DaveyGraham Davey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is immoral to risk massive environmental damage before having seriously tried reducing the wastage of energy and the potential of renewables.

• JoepJoep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Act now before it is to late! You've got our support from the Netherlands! They're planning to start fracking after summer. If you want to support us, sign the dutch petition on www.geenschaliegas.petities.nl. If you do, pls, don't forget to confirm your signature (look in your spambox). Good luck with the fight!

• RhysRhys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I watched Gasland a few weeks ago and was seriously shocked, but thought (naively) that our government wouldn't let such a thing happen here. As usual the money is what is winning the argument.
        This petition needs more coverage with the harsh impacts of fracking really put out there so we can permanently ban it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base