I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

5,979 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

963 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be putting the money and effort into sensible, clean energy choices... fracking is the opposite.

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Continued supplies of fresh water are much more important than any amount of natural gas.

• YVETTE GULLANDYVETTE GULLAND commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we definitely need to do something about this ridiculous idea for making money by interfering with the structure of the earth. There have already been problems that have "surfaced"such as leaks and earthquakes. We are leaning more and more about the methods used such as pouring poisonous chemicals into the substrata which causes obvious pollution. PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE THANKS-LET'S HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR WITHOUT ALL THIS CRAZY GREED...LET'S MAKE THE CHANGE NOW!

This is potentially the most environmentally damaging source of water and air pollution, and the government is in favour of it!

• Satch NortonSatch Norton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One word sums it up - "NO"! Fracking is short-term and daft. Too many of the research papers supporting fracking have now been discredited and have also been found to be funded by the oil and gas industry!

• Jean ParkerJean Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This whole idea is total madness. Especially when we could use sustainable energy sources. I have not faith at all in this idea. In fact its VERY frightening!!!!!!

OMG I live in a town that will be carrying out fracking. I think i'll be moving.

• Mary ClarkMary Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not enough research work has been done on this idea ,to find out if in the first place it is safe , workable or economical proposal ? The government is wearing blinkers because it hasn’t done enough to solve the energy supply gap which is opening up .

• Scott ChaseScott Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a great deal of information was readily available about this procedure when I first of all heard about it so I watched a documentary called GASLAND. That was enough to convince me that Fracking is a really bad idea

• Tom WarburtonTom Warburton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the signs (particularly the earth tremors that coincided with the Fylde testing) suggest that Fracking is risky. Surely there should be a proper investigation into the side-effects before it is allowed the go-ahead?

• Jagdish.DHOKIAJagdish.DHOKIA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need to have a national vote against "Fracking" the present government is only intrested in the pro-fracking multinational global companies. Their masters. just like JUDAS for a bag of silver! they are only intrested in their selfish personal goals. And not for MOTHER NATURE.

• Mike ClarkeMike Clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's all about money, (as usual) for the few, the rich having their way, whilst the majority of people suffer the consequences.
        Words regarding safety & 'Regulation' are just that....Generally disingenuous, & ultimately empty.

• Lynn woodLynn wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop the fracking immediately - a proper investigation into the earthquakes MUST be done before any further decisions are made. David Cameron - use your brain!

• Lee WhitakerLee Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

12/17/12 8:14 it's frecking awesome to poison people in the area when they drink chemical water, so I can make money from engineering.

I am an engineer and have work for several companies which use frecking to abtain gas and dispite the risks I think freaking is a brilliant way to reduce gas prices and our reliability on other countries to Supply our gas ,in short I think its frecking awesome

1 2 9 11 13 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base