I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

5,998 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

965 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard WhistanceRichard Whistance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

once you pollute the water and you've spent the money from your 'job' we're left with an infertile and caustic landscape - Fracking is not needed, is entirely harmful to the environment and takes money and energy away from renewables - NO

• Andrew DurlingAndrew Durling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the risks of accidents and leaks from fracking at all stages of the fracking process leading to potential environmental damage are so dire and so long-lasting that a strict interpretation of the 'preventative principle' must be applied: ie. take no risks at all, therefore don't drill at all.

• Charlie GrantCharlie Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Methane is leaking at a horrendous 9% from the gas fields which makes this industry much much worse than coal mining for greenhouse impact. Methane is 30-120% more destructive than carbon dioxide.

• A A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the government have a hidden agenda, we are all conned and the majority behave like sheeple

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We the people in this area need to be given more information that is in no way biased by the Governments need to increase gas supply. I believe that they have not spent enough time considering wave power yet, or encouraging everyone to use solar power.

• Bianca GhizdavuBianca Ghizdavu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All Governements are the same: they claim national security and independence trying to cover the dezaster caused by those terrible chemicals… And it seems to me that, if they might care about environmental issues on land exploitation, they don’t give a shit about those which are already running on sea. Planet Earth doesn’t mean only land… what about the sea?

• Sarah EnoSarah Eno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely necessary to keep on with sustainable renewables development and retrofitting existing built stock to be highest standards, and create lots more jobs.....crazy mad not to.

• RoisinRoisin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fracking gas from shale is about 97% Methane...30 times worse for the environment than CO2 emissions. All this should be stopped and a simple swap to solar (including Concentrated Solar) and wind needs to be achieved. If we turned each electricity pylon into a wind turbine we could make a difference. Sensible insulation for all homes and zero-rated homes needed....

• cATHY MONKLEYccATHY MONKLEYc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fracking is the complete opposite of the direction our energy policies need to go. Please see sense and move towards reducing energy use and developing renewable energy for that which we do need. To release the greenhouse gases produced by fracking (and using the fuel gained) would be suicidal. our atmosphere cannot continue to be a good place to inhabit unless we stop polutting it with heat trapping gases PDQ.

• Jane GlenJane Glen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whichever parliament(s) have power over this should enact a moratorium. I don't think that Holyrood has that power - YET.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is soooo important, air and water pollution is the usual biproduct of this process, along with falling property values! The drillers don't bother to clean up and governments don't bother to supervise them! I guess the oil/gas men make promises to the government, but it's our country, not theirs to abuse.

1 2 8 10 12 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base