I suggest a campaign about ...

Universal State Pension

Proposed State Pension changes to a 'universal' State Pension for NEW PENSIONERS ONLY is discriminatory and will create a two tier system for existing pensioners who have not only paid NI contributions but may have paid in to a private/occupational pension as well. This will discriminate on age grounds and surely cannot be acceptable under Equal Rights legislation. It will widen the gap between the UK State Pension and that of other EU countries - surely this cannot be acceptable under EU legislation.

183 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Noreen StainwrightNoreen Stainwright shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go to the link below, it leads to my website dedicated to how badly UK pensioners have been treated since the 80's when Thatcher broke the State pensions link with male average earnings.

If you wish to take part in the site and make comments, you will need to register first, and the site is completely free to join and take part in.

Any problems, please let me know.

Here's the link

http://pvc322.forumotion.co.uk

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pensioners in their sixties and older have had to pay national insurance contributions for over 44 years in order to qualify for a full state pension which is a lot longer than the new requirement of only 30 years

One of the justifications (or reasons) the government has given for changing to a universal state pension is to simplify things not only for admin purposes but also because many older pensioners suffer because they do not claim their full entitlement. This is mainly due to the complicated system but also because many older people do not like the idea of asking for help. Existing pensioners are the very people who have proved the old system to be inadequate and at times unfair yet they are the ones who will be denied the benefit of the new universal state pension. This TWO TIER pension system WILL COME INTO FORCE IF WE SO NOT ACT VERY SOON......... Many of us could be living for another 30 OR EVEN 40 YEARS under this highly discrimatory pension system.

Pensioners in their sixties and older have had to pay national insurance contributions for over 44 years in order to qualify for a full state pension which is a lot longer than the new requirement of only 30 years

One of the justifications (or reasons) the government has given for changing to a universal state pension is to simplify things not only for admin purposes but also because many older pensioners suffer because they do not claim their full entitlement. This is mainly due to the complicated system but also because many older people do not like the idea of asking for help. Existing pensioners are the very people who have proved the old system to be inadequate and at times unfair yet they are the ones who will be denied the benefit of the new universal state pension. This TWO TIER pension system WILL COME INTO FORCE IF WE SO NOT ACT VERY SOON......... Many of us could be living for another 30 OR EVEN 40 YEARS under this highly discrimatory pension system.

38 degrees should pick up on the following.

UK pensioners have seen their living standards plummet since the 80's, and as a result, millions of pensioners have and are living in poverty, after paying taxes and N.I. Contributions into the system all their working lives, ie for 30, 40, and 50 years.

So, I have put together the following Pensions Petition which has been accepted on the Government’s own web site, now all it needs are signatures.

If this Petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Government are obliged to take it on board. So, please get involved.

Go to this link and sign my petition on the Government’s web site.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19311

The Petition reads as follows,-

All elderly people should receive residential care free, via the State, and a much higher basic State pension free of means testing

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

The Government must fund elderly people's rights to free residential Care paid for by the State because our elderly people have paid into the system all their working lives, and Government must also pay all pensioners now and in the future, a much higher basic state pension by restoring the National Insurance Act born of a Labour Government in 1974 which linked increases in the State pension to male average earnings, or The Retail Price Index ( RPI), whichever the greater. In 1975, the then Labour Government passed the "Social Security Act", introducing a State Earnings Related Pensions Scheme, this was considered in the pensions industry, the most cost effective scheme ever.

I am also DESPERATE for 38 degrees to take this issue on NOW, before it's TOO LATE to convince the Government to change to a fairer system fair pensions for ALL state pensioners. THINGS HAVE GONE QUIET ON THIS ISSUE WHICH MEANS IT WILL SUDDENLY REAPPEAR ALMOST AS A DONE DEAL.!

What you all have to take on board here is that the Tories dont believe in the welfare State, or State pension.

Its a waste of time writing to IDS, he couldnt care less.

Im standing as an Independent Parliamentary candidate at the next G/E on this and other issues

Contact me at,

michaelt281702085@googlemail.com

• olddutcholddutch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mike C - I agree - time for 38degrees to do more than accept occasional individual messages of concern and to initiate a proper and effective campaign before it's too late !!!!!

Mike if you havn't already, try writing to Duncan Smith and Webb via your MP and perhaps join the NPC campaigns on link below

http://npcuk.org/campaigns

good luck !

• Mike CMike C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With an autumn of wider economic gloom dominating the media (and consequent further fall in values of pensioners savings and pension 'pots'), coverage of the deeply unfair state pension proposals has become worryingly quiet

Time for 38degrees to do more than accept occasional individual messages of concern and to initiate a proper and effective campaign before it's too late?

Mike C

• olddutcholddutch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My greatest ongoing concern over this matter is that a gross unfairness will be produced if the pension proposals are implemented as they now stand, in that an Apartheid of First Class and Second Class State Pensioners will be created on a random arbitrary date.

My own MP has personally in correspondence recognised the intrinsic unfairness in the Government pension proposals, especially in relation to the “cliff edge” transition.

However,Pension Minister, Steve Webb in previous correspondence deliberately did not address the fairness aspect of the Pension proposals properly, in not “delineating each of my particular points” Despite my clear request for direct answers to each of my specific questions. Steve Webb’s generalised “spun” response” did not address my detailed concerns/questions.

This matter is just too important to allow genuine all round fairness to be disregarded.

I have now resubmitted each of my questions/concerns by letter to Steve Webb (via my MP) for full point by point related answers, rather than a further detailed “fulsome” generalised response which misses my detailed points - especially on the Governments own declared principle of fairness re Pension reform.

The enactment of this divisive pension proposal cannot be allowed to take place without a full blooded campaign against such shameless nonsensical pension proposals.

Steve Webb’s belief that there is only one affordable way of implementing a “necessary” pensions change is clearly highly dubious - as is his rejection of transitional fairness / all inclusive fairness in the name of “long term fairness” and “fairness for women“. The principle of fairness for all state pensioners as specified in the Government Pension Proposals Criteria is something that clearly must be applied to all state pensioners - not just to a selective future grouping.

State Pension Apartheid for political or financial expediency or any other reason is so obviously totally wrong. The proposals need to be radically amended to incorporate genuine fairness for all state pensioners.

Like Mike C, I am DESPERATE for 38 degrees to take this issue on NOW, before it's too late to convince the Government to change to a fairer transition period and fair pensions for all state pensioners.

I cannot believe the gross unfairness of the proposal to have a single (as opposed to phased) cut off date for the new pension in 2015/16. Having saved carefully and lived frugally all my life, I would not expect to receive additional benefits over and above the standard state pension, so to be born in 1950 and therefore lose out on the new £140 pension by months is sickeneing and worrying - in fact, ruining the lead-up to retirement. Totally dishonest, improper and unfair to reward those who have lived well by spending all they have earnt (and, now, happen to be born after 1950).with a £140 pension, whist folk born just before them not only get a smaller pension, but get nothing for being sensible all their lives. DESPERATE for 38 degrees to take this issue on NOW, before it's too late to convince politicians to change to a fairer transition period. What more can those of us most adversly affected do to support a campaign?.

I cannot believe the gross unfairness of the proposal to have a single (as opposed to phased) cut off date for the new pension in 2015/16. Having saved carefully and lived frugally all my life, I would not expect to receive additional benefits over and above the standard state pension, so to be born in 1950 and therefore lose out on the new £140 pension by months is sickeneing and worrying - in fact, ruining the lead-up to retirement. Totally dishonest, improper and unfair to reward those who have lived well by spending all they have earnt (and, now, happen to be born after 1950).with a £140 pension, whist folk born just before them not only get a smaller pension, but get nothing for being sensible all their lives. DESPERATE for 38 degrees to take this issue on NOW, before it's too late to convince politicians to change to a fairer transition period. What more can those of us most adversly affected do to support a campaign?.

• robrob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HOPE ALL EVERYONE READING THESE COMMENTS ARE ENCOURAGING ALL PENSIONERS AND THEIR FRIENDS TO VOTE THIS GOVERMENT OUT OF OFFICE.

• robrob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its typical of the tories, attack the weakest, so the oldest people are to get less money to live on, only bullies kick people when they are down. Maybe they think we are too old to cause any trouble ....its immoral,

What people dont "appear" to realise is the politics of all this.

The political "right wing", beginning under Margaret Thatcher, do not believe in "the role of the state, this includes a State pension.

The political "right" believe in a small state, hence what is now happening through the coaltion cuts.

What you all have to do is protest like they do in Europe, ie Greece, France, and Germany.

I am not a pensioner, but have been campaigning on behalf of pensioners for decades.

We should forget for one moment our own perrsonal situations, and get together and form some kind of group, and attack the system.

I would suggest first of all, downloading Skype, and then buying a web cam, Skype allows group discussions.

if you like the sound of this, contact me at the following email address, and I will give you my skype email address,

michaelt2702085@yahoo.co.uk

The low state pension in this country isnt about cost, it's about political ideoligy.

Means testing pensioners on a low state pension cost 15 times more that the restoration of the State pension link with male average earnings

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base