I suggest a campaign about ...

Petition calling for the dropping of charges of aggravated tresspass against Ukuncut members

On March 26th 138 UKuncut activists were charged with aggravated tresspass after staging an entirely peaceful protest in Fortnum & Mason. At the very least this has huge significance for the future of peaceful direct action and at it's worst is political policing. UKuncut has played a prominent role in bringing corporate tax avoidance into mainstream political debate and has embarressed the government as well as the powerful corporations they've targeted. The arrest of UKuncut members is an attempt to associate them with the "violence" that occured and to vilify the group in the minds of the general public, and in so doing destroy the movement. These were, as all UKuncut actions have been, entirely peaceful. Please, please give this campaign your support.

3,745 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben BassonBen Basson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1149 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • barbsbarbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support your cause for a petition 100% and for the dropping of the charges

• RobynHoodRobynHood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The treatment of these people is wholly unacceptable. I will stand up in whatever capacity is needed for the right to protest.

DROP THE CHARGES.

• D LocksmithD Locksmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Police acting in this manner only serves to diminish any respect that the public has left for them. All concerned with this should be ashamed.

• Lucy WelshLucy Welsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree with all of the above and more. It is plain that UK Uncut are a peaceful organisation and the disgusting way in which they were arrested, and also the horrendous and biased reporting from the BBC directly after, has shocked and saddened me.

• Mme GMme G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The charges brought against these people are about targeting people who peacefully challenge the government's agenda rather than keeping us safe. These people should be lauded, not prosecuted.

• John AttiwellJohn Attiwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The duty of the police and the CPS is to protect the people, not to further the governments agenda. All charges against these entirely peaceful protestors should be dropped immediately. Political policing of this kind has no place in modern Britain. Drop the charges.

• Verity SmartVerity Smart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely in breach with ECHR to arrest people who are peacefully, NOT aggressively assembling and exercising their LEGAL right to associating with a specific group and cause. It's in breach of their right to impart information and ideas. I'd like to see someone counter this and take the Met to court for breach of human rights. The police are acting as little more than corporate monkeys in these protests, not upholding the LAW.

• Poddingham PaulPoddingham Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The duplicitous actions on the day smack of political policing, and must be challenged for the sake of all concerned, including the police. Please invite 38 degrees' members, and others, to back these shabbily treated, peaceful, protestors.

• Prudence CaricPrudence Caric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These arrests are a disgrace and make a mockery of a justice system that is already subject to scrutiny. Not only are these arrests a direct impingement on the freedom of speech of every UK citizen, but an awful waste of tax payer money and police time. The charges must be dropped.

• Troy LoveTroy Love commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will support you on this occasion but you cannot go around walking into shops no matter how peaceful your intentions are. As a one off I agree it was good. But if you do it again there may be people who will latch on to what you do and take advantage of the situation. Stand outside the premises. Just a humble opinion.

• lornalorna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the fortnum and mason occupiers did nothing wrong but stand up for themselves in the middle of a crooked system, and they should not have to pay the price. Their arrests were premeditated and they stink of political motive. They committed no crime, they deserve no charge. Look at the differences 38degrees campaigns have made in the past - support lawful protest!

• R SeymourR Seymour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The police attend demonstrations in order to ensure the safety of protesters, bystanders and surroundings, not to rack up an arrest tally to brag about, as the Metropolitan Police did on Saturday March 26. At best, the Met have lost sight of the purpose of public order policing. The alternative is that the arrests were a politically motivated attack on a particular non-violent protest group, critically undermining the right to non-violent protest and trust in the police.

Feedback and Knowledge Base