I suggest a campaign about ...

Petition calling for the dropping of charges of aggravated tresspass against Ukuncut members

On March 26th 138 UKuncut activists were charged with aggravated tresspass after staging an entirely peaceful protest in Fortnum & Mason. At the very least this has huge significance for the future of peaceful direct action and at it's worst is political policing. UKuncut has played a prominent role in bringing corporate tax avoidance into mainstream political debate and has embarressed the government as well as the powerful corporations they've targeted. The arrest of UKuncut members is an attempt to associate them with the "violence" that occured and to vilify the group in the minds of the general public, and in so doing destroy the movement. These were, as all UKuncut actions have been, entirely peaceful. Please, please give this campaign your support.

3,745 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben BassonBen Basson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1149 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sunbul MalikSunbul Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I despise any arrests made simply to "gain intelligence", as the police have now admitted. We need this campaign!

• TaniaTania commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please drop the charges. They are innocent. They are peaceful protesters who stand up against political cuts. They want to voice for grass-root people.

• Neil McKennaNeil McKenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is clear that there was no 'aggravated trespass' at Fortnum and Mason, and no harm done to persons or property in the shop. UK Uncut members' demonstration was within the law, their subsequent treatment by the police a betrayal of the negotiating officer's own assurances and entirely unnecessarily heavy-handed. All praise to UK Uncut for raising public awareness of corporate vandalism of public services via tax avoidance.

• joannejoanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should not av been arrested and charged as this is wrong.me like thousand of other people in public sector are taking cuts in jobs pay penisions and working conditions.You do a good job and keep up the good work

• Gillian KalterGillian Kalter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this petition. All charges should be dropped. These UKuncut activists are brave and deserve our support.

• Wayne Neville WestWayne Neville West commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a voice and they need to hear it... They will hear us!
        The given excuse of "This is what the people voted for" cannot stand any longer. If this is the kind of democracy that we insist to inflict on the rest of the World... I don't do religion but GOD HELP US ALL

• Karen MichaelKaren Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These young people behaved in an exemplary fashion, the very opposite of anarchically; they went into the shop to make a political point. Drop these charges if you value democratic values

• Dorothy MooreDorothy Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

drop the charges against all the protestors they are not the wrong doers prosecute those inflicting the violence in form of cuts on this nation someone should take the British government to the EU court surly what they are doing to the Britian and its people must be illegal by EU law and possibley even by human rights is there a lawyer that can look into this

• Frederick LewisFrederick Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is POLITICALLY-motivated HARRASSMENT designed on the BASIS of INTIMIDATION TACTICS by the Government, aimed as squashing FREEDOM of SPEECH and OPINION!... It needs to be stopped now!!

• katherine courtauldkatherine courtauld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

drop the charges! There's no evidence against them and the police admit the arrests were made in order to gather intelligence. They are urban heroes and we need them on our streets, in our banks, vodaphone shops, supermarkets etc. etc. etc.

• Ian David BurrellIan David Burrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The targeting of UKuncut protesters was clearly a political move against a democratic peaceful protest. This is all the clearer given the failure of the police to act against violent anarchists on the same day. The Government cannot be allowed to stifle opposition to their ideologically motivated cut.

1 2 6 8 10 57 58

Feedback and Knowledge Base