I suggest a campaign about ...

Petition calling for the dropping of charges of aggravated tresspass against Ukuncut members

On March 26th 138 UKuncut activists were charged with aggravated tresspass after staging an entirely peaceful protest in Fortnum & Mason. At the very least this has huge significance for the future of peaceful direct action and at it's worst is political policing. UKuncut has played a prominent role in bringing corporate tax avoidance into mainstream political debate and has embarressed the government as well as the powerful corporations they've targeted. The arrest of UKuncut members is an attempt to associate them with the "violence" that occured and to vilify the group in the minds of the general public, and in so doing destroy the movement. These were, as all UKuncut actions have been, entirely peaceful. Please, please give this campaign your support.

3,745 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben BassonBen Basson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1149 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig MCraig M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was political policing pure and simple. Why is it that only 10 out of 140 people charged, where actually involved in violence. Absolute disgrace.

• Tim StreetTim Street commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

38 degrees has campaigned successfully on Tax Dodgers- it's time for some solidarity with UK Uncut- the original and best enemy of those terminably pesky tax avoiders.

• SarahSarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite the police assuring the public that vandals and violent protestors are being cracked down on, of the 200 or so arrested on Saturday, only 7 were arrested on violent charges. 140 were completely peaceful and creative. This is blatant political policing and a complete breach of the right to protest. Disgusting.

• Tim HardyTim Hardy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was outrageous. These were blatantly political arrests. The charges should be dropped and I want to see resignations from those responsible for this.

• Jesus JohnsonJesus Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hears to UKuncut and a big hug to all the peaceful chaps and chapesses in F&M. I was there for while but left before the arrests. Just ridiculous, especially considering the scale of non-peaceful actions outside (not that they weren't effective but. . . ) This just proves that the UKuncut methods work! I imagine the success of the this movement to increase rapidly over the next 6 months . . . . Put it this way, there wasn't a UKuncut branch in my (extremely safe tory) town last week. There will be soon. Keep it up peeps and thinking of you all.

• Dr NoShockDr NoShock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a supporter of ukuncut and having been on the Barclays and Natwest/RBS occupations in central London I find this situation alarming. I was in London and only by pure chance did my group not make it to F&M. All actions I have attended have been peaceful. All video & photo evidence supports assertions it was again.
        The police are even seen to praise ukuncuts behaviour as sensible and peaceful. Then they are violently arrested.

The fact that 1 senior officer says they can leave, another questions why they are not bring allowed to leave and the riot clad officer apparently says no Scotland Yard say to arrest/detain suggests to me a political influence.

If this proceeds to charges reaching convictions then peaceful protest is no longer your right in UK. A very sad day for British values are lost.
        But hey legal aid is going too. What government have we brought in?

• CholerCholer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the same time that 'our' government professess to support pro-'democracy' movements in north Africa, they attack the right to protest here!
        I say NO!

• natashanatasha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

police picking on soft easy targets did they have a quota to fill? 15 year old girls ??

Where was the newspaper splash of the police defending Top Shop instead of arresting Sir Philip Green on TAX FRAUD!!!!

• JakeJake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason ukuncut protesters have been targetted is that they have been effective.

• Ben SellersBen Sellers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The UKUncut activists are being targeted politically by this government, I am sure of this. There is one reason and one reason only for this - and that is the tremendous success that they have had over the last year in highlighting tax evasion. We, the massive anti-cuts movement, are behind you and these charges should and will be dropped.

• SiSi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way the police dealt with us on saturday was terrible! Shame on them!

Feedback and Knowledge Base