I suggest a campaign about ...

Petition calling for the dropping of charges of aggravated tresspass against Ukuncut members

On March 26th 138 UKuncut activists were charged with aggravated tresspass after staging an entirely peaceful protest in Fortnum & Mason. At the very least this has huge significance for the future of peaceful direct action and at it's worst is political policing. UKuncut has played a prominent role in bringing corporate tax avoidance into mainstream political debate and has embarressed the government as well as the powerful corporations they've targeted. The arrest of UKuncut members is an attempt to associate them with the "violence" that occured and to vilify the group in the minds of the general public, and in so doing destroy the movement. These were, as all UKuncut actions have been, entirely peaceful. Please, please give this campaign your support.

3,743 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben BassonBen Basson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Penny Penny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We as a people need to protect our right to peaceful protest. What UK uncut are doing is vital for our "democracy". The UK uncut protestors were without doubt political prisoners.

We as a people need to protect our right to peaceful protest. What UK uncut are doing is vital for our "democracy". The UK uncut protestors were without doubt political prisoners.

• Nathan WagstaffNathan Wagstaff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Condemning peaceful open protest will inevitably lead to more people covering their faces and destroying property. Apparently it's less risky...

• Rose Theresa SkillinRose Theresa Skillin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Defo! This is a direct attack on the people. The government are attacking countries in the Middle East - me thinks "White man" speak with forked tongue

• libbylibby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

these people did not cause any damage or harm to property or people they were peacefully protesting which is the right of any human being in this country so to charge them would be unlawful.

• Angry Protester! Angry Protester! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's outrageous that the Government, and the Met Police, are using these peaceful protesters as political pawns in their battle against the freedom of protest. They should be ashamed!!

• Ruth MichaelsonRuth Michaelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Targeting UKUncut in this way allows the government to distract from why such enormous numbers of people felt the need to protest in the first place: disgraceful.

• Sam NightingaleSam Nightingale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a valid protest by UK uncut and I feel its very important that we support our right for enacting democracy in this way. The police and the government is looking to scapegoat and 'dirty' the name of important direct action groups like UK Uncut. Lets try to stop them.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Arresting and charging the peaceful people whilst letting their own provocateurs off scot free. I hate the police...

• Sean HurlSean Hurl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These charges are the latest response to a Government that had lost the argument in terms of unpaid and avoided tax.

• David Joseph SmithDavid Joseph Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Corporatism, fascism, militarisation, private goon squads, criminalisation of protest, regression to the Victorian Poor Law... where does this road lead? Labour camps? The need for mutual aid societies? The present regime can see no further than the bank balance. I'm 100% behind this petition.

• sam cowleysam cowley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't like to get sucked in to conspiracy theories, but it's getting increasingly difficult not to recently.

Feedback and Knowledge Base