I suggest a campaign about ...

Petition calling for the dropping of charges of aggravated tresspass against Ukuncut members

On March 26th 138 UKuncut activists were charged with aggravated tresspass after staging an entirely peaceful protest in Fortnum & Mason. At the very least this has huge significance for the future of peaceful direct action and at it's worst is political policing. UKuncut has played a prominent role in bringing corporate tax avoidance into mainstream political debate and has embarressed the government as well as the powerful corporations they've targeted. The arrest of UKuncut members is an attempt to associate them with the "violence" that occured and to vilify the group in the minds of the general public, and in so doing destroy the movement. These were, as all UKuncut actions have been, entirely peaceful. Please, please give this campaign your support.

3,743 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben BassonBen Basson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gareth NelsonGareth Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, the threats are exactly why I used the phrase "violent thugs". It shows the personality of those who sympathise with the uncut protestors.

Personally, i would not go so far as Nigel - I do agree that this was a peaceful protest, but it was not a legal and law-abiding one. I've done protests myself, and at no point do you enter private property and steal stuff (and yes, stuff was stolen - protesters publically admitted this live on twitter).

If you break the law, you do so knowing that you'll likely be arrested if caught, and if you do it in public then being caught is almost certain. It isn't an unjust law either, it's a very important law that protects everyone else just as much as it protects fortnum and mason - regardless of your views on tax avoidance.

• NigelNigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to Sara

I rest my case "Sum" pure and simple "Ooooh we didn't do anything wring - we woz beaten up by the police and all we did was wave flowers and sing nice songs" but then when someone (like me) says otherwise I get a threat

Well FUCK OFF SARA you have no idea who I am and what my background is - fuck with me and you'll be a smear up the wall and history, You are scum, pure and simple, and I react badly to threats

• Esther Esther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The UK Uncut protesters aren't violent thugs. They did a sit in, which was totally peaceful and unthreatening. Employees were just amused, not threatened.
        Protest is a legal form of expression in a democracy. Everyone has the right to express their opinion. They did so with a peaceful sit in.
        They were told by police they are free to go, just to be kettled and arrested. Free to go then was interpreted as "free to go - to jail" as one police officer was heard to say. One of those arrested was a 15-year-old who was suffering severe anxiety due to the arrest.
        Anyone accusing them of violence and making them out to be riminals should reassess the bankers and their excessive bonuses and the companies which avoisd paying huge amounts of taxes, including Boots, Tesco and Fortnum & Mason. "We are all in this together" only works when offloading debts on the poor. When companies and bankers make huge profits, they don't use that phrase. Hence tax slavery...

"If you don't get that, then get out of the way because we are coming for you"
        Ah, and anyone else wondering if these people are violent thugs?

• Sara PetersonSara Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nigel if you don't like this forum get off of it. We support these people because we are tired of corporatist oligarchs taking over our respective countries. If you don't get that, then get out of the way because we are coming for you.

• NigelNigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't try to link slavery with the scum that got arrested.

So far apart in so many ways.

They are scum, pure and simple, scum not innocent, not
        law abiding, just nasty scum that got their comeupance, and I am delighted they did. Anyone who thinks they were hard done by is more on the scum scale than the decent citizen. Enough, they are just vile scum

Personally I purchased some stuff from F&M immediately after the protests in order to show my support for them. I emailed customer service and said why I was ordering, the staff seemed quite surprised since they were getting so much hate mail. I find that incredibly disgusting.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll go with scum, unemployed do gooders, misinformed or just plain daft, they broke the law and got EXACTLY what they desreved, I have no sympathy whatsoever for as another poster put it SCUM, pure and simple

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many examples where the rules of society have been legal but immoral. Slavery is one example tax avoidance and evasion is another. It is immoral for the poorest to pay more tax than the rich and for the tax system to allow anyone to evade and avoid tax. The tax system needs to be changed so that everyone contributes fairly. For these reasons I would urge everyone to support UNCUT. And I would urge the police not to arrest innocent people on a peaceful protest.

Again, the 'rules' didn't write themselves. They had help by human beings. Those human beings were influenced by people who wrote the legislation for them and then paid them to pass it so it would benefit them. If you participated in that event, then, in my opinion, you are guilty of operating for your own benefit at the expense of the greater good or human society. In the US, the 14th Amendment has been turned upside down by corporate attorneys who have crafted personhood for these entities that are only beholden to the bottom line and to maximize profit without regard for any other element on the planet including human beings. If you think that is 'clever' or 'correct', I just will add you to my list for the bus to drive off the cliff. This world isn't about getting just what is good for you you idiot.

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is unbelievable the government are supporting peaceful protest in other countries while trying to stifle it here. I despair.

Sara - I have an ISA, i've also ran a limited company in the past, both of these things reduce taxation and both are entirely legal and playing within the rules.
        There is nothing at all unethical about not paying more tax than is legally required of you, nothing at all.

For those of you who believe 'buying' tax breaks that specifically enhance your tax returns to the detriment of the greater part of society is playing inside the rules and is the 'smart' way to manipulate the system most probably fails to believe in a greater good of anykind and probably cheats at golf too.

Ah, someone speaks sense finally (Nigel)

TAX AVOIDANCE IS NOT A CRIME

Come on, protesting against someone following the rules? Tax avoidance is simply arranging your affairs WITHIN THE RULES to minimise how much tax you have to pay.

This movement deserves to be destroyed, it's built on stupidity.

• WendyWendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We must defend peaceful and legitimate protesters against political policing. If we fail to stand up against this abuse of power, we allow our democratic rights to be fatally undermined.

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you arrest people for peacefull protest that is one more reason for them to resort to un-peaceful protest - some common sense please!

Feedback and Knowledge Base