I suggest a campaign about ...

Petition calling for the dropping of charges of aggravated tresspass against Ukuncut members

On March 26th 138 UKuncut activists were charged with aggravated tresspass after staging an entirely peaceful protest in Fortnum & Mason. At the very least this has huge significance for the future of peaceful direct action and at it's worst is political policing. UKuncut has played a prominent role in bringing corporate tax avoidance into mainstream political debate and has embarressed the government as well as the powerful corporations they've targeted. The arrest of UKuncut members is an attempt to associate them with the "violence" that occured and to vilify the group in the minds of the general public, and in so doing destroy the movement. These were, as all UKuncut actions have been, entirely peaceful. Please, please give this campaign your support.

3,743 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben BassonBen Basson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matthew VaughanMatthew Vaughan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insane that the Police and Secret Service are actually recieving their wages from the very people that they are targeting ! The big non tax paying corporations provide no finance towards any of our services, be they Police or Military . So UKuncut are being harassed by the very people they pay for ! Absurd and very clear that we don't live in a Democracy , just a country run by a tiny group of well spoken criminals.

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I take your point anonymous and it explains a lot. You could try the new website change.com or something like that. They may be better.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Initially, I supported a couple of the 38 degrees campaigns having a good knowledge of the context and arguments. However, I started see campaigns that used sweeping statements and heavily journalist language. I wanted to support some of those campaigns but not through a lobbyist that lent itself to such stigma. I then began to question how exactly their campaigns came into being. I made several attempts to contact them about how this process worked but received no form of reply. Through looking at articles about 38 degrees, it turns out the campaign ideas have to be approved by the 38 degrees panel. They have exploited this power, largely for their own agenda where they approved campaigns with multiple times less votes than campaigns they haven't approved. There is also a woeful lack of transparency in where 38 degrees receives its funding.
        Spread the message and spread the link
        http://www.iaindale.com/posts/38-degrees-selfish-self-absorbed-arrogant-ignorant-manipulative-hugely-successful

• MorgeoMorgeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am all for a peaceful demonstration but really hate these low life idiots who turn some occasion into a violent and criminal wave of theft and destruction that the police seem so ineffective aginst whereas a peaceful one is easy meat for them I guess.
        What about you demonstrating in support of the pensioners who are being consistently robbed by govenment who freeze thie pension. These people all paid into the NI fund the same as everyone else and now the government freeze their pension because they emigrated to a number of countries including many Commonwealth ones. It is really unbelievable that they do this to just a minority - 4 % of all pensioners while paying the other 96% the uprated pension each year. That is criminal and very unjust and means a certain poverty for many who have no other pension or savings.
        UNCUT the freezing David Cameron.

Agree. The elites in the UK are a shady bunch who like to think they can influence and control public opinion. Movements like UNCUT, Occupy, Twitter and so on are an important reminder to them that Jo Public is not as dull or ill informed as they like to believe. But Jo Public demonstrating and demanding an end to the political and economic corruption that is endemic in the UK is more than they can take. Exposure. Hence Cameron considering the use of live ammunition against future demonstrators.

• Stuart GrahamStuart Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Watching the footage, it was clear the arrests were politically motivated. It is astonishing that peaceful demonstrators are demonised by our leaders at the same time they marvel at demonstrators in Egypt, Syria, Yemen etc.
        The internet phenomenon plus Twitter and other networking sites scares our political class. Events move very quickly which means they lose control ...about time too. The cosy little relationship between tax avoiders and (in particular) the tory party needs exposing and highlighting ...again and again and again. It is corruption.

• Sara PetersonSara Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply do not understand the trolls who post on this site who feel that peaceful protesters are scum. Why don't you just stay off this site. Those are the only posts that have been written in several weeks. What is up with that?

• billbill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sincerly hope that the FULL weight of the law be bought upon these dirty, unwashed troublemakers.
        Who on earth do they think they are? Disrupting a legimate business in doing what is LEGAL!
        IMHO, they all need 8 weeks in jail with no shortening of the sentence and they should be made to share their cell with a fatty!

• TimothyTimothy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems to 30 hard core are being prosected by the CPS, as others here have said I have no sympathy with this sort of behaviour which uis simply trespass and law breaking, what these compnaies are doing is NOT against the law.

Most of the 30 will be either on the dole, or daddies little rich kids, so it will be of little value giving them a criminal conviction (probably already have them !) and they equally will have wasted their time too

Timothy

Nigel has clearly had a hard time and that is awful.

But I would ask Nigel whether he thinks paying tax should be optional. At the moment that is the case for the better off in the UK. In my opinion that is not right, particularly at a time of austerity when (we are told) the country needs all the money it can get. The more money collected in tax the lower the cuts.

Also, why should the tax from the less well off be given to banks and bankers for free. They should pay for their mistakes and incompetence.

• Esther Esther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think either Nigel or Sara's comments are constructive and neither should be threatening the other person, which both have done by now.

• Esther Esther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever your view is whether parents should allow a 15-year-old to go on protests, the police has a duty of care which they frequently seem to violate. Watch the film "Taking Liberties" and you will see the arrest and lack of responsible treatment of several youngsters. Getting arrested and charged does not seem to have much to do with facts or reality and so I don't agree with the sentiment that protesters deserve such treatment.

• Gareth NelsonGareth Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to just publically say that i disagree on Nigel's last 2 posts, despite agreeing with his earlier ones, except on one point - that 15 year old's parents shouldn't have let her go to this protest.

• NigelNigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

" One of those arrested was a 15-year-old who was suffering severe anxiety due to the arrest. "

THATS a child, Mummy and Daddy should have a grip on their offspring, and not let them wander off on "Good deads" they no sodf all about. Better they do their homework. But Idiots Like Sara will fill their heads with doo goodey crap and off they go,

However, a good hard strip search might just have the desired effect of shocking them into not being an irritation in the future and a wake up call

Sara - how would you feel about a good hard strip search ms Righton ?

• NigelNigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have more than my bit for Crown and country, and have PTSD as a result.

I will never recover and am on heavy medication, what my eyes have seen noone should see, and more importnatly those who have seen what I have cannot forget what they have seen or done. When I then see scum like these idiots break the law get a thump and cry "Rape" makes my blood boil, a 5 minute "Meeting" with me would explain to any one them the error of their sad ways and to get a fucking life and grow up, they do not know what life is, or how easily it can be removed.

I thought this forum was about choice, if "Sara I@m right on Lezbo sandal wearing pillock" wants to give me a hard time, I think I can prob cope with it, but threatening me just makes you look like the sad bitch you are

• Gareth NelsonGareth Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"One of those arrested was a 15-year-old who was suffering severe anxiety due to the arrest"
        I've read the reports of this girl's arrest, and from what i've read there was some wrongdoing if the report is true (she alleges she was forced to strip to her underwear amongst other things), but the arrest itself was entirely right. We can condemn post-arrest abuse while still agreeing with the need for arrest.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 57 58

Feedback and Knowledge Base