I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop a huge waste transfer station in an Area of Outstanding National Beauty in the Chilterns

A planning loophole means that a small plot where they dumped some rubble decades ago (now covered in grass and trees) doesn't count as AONB.

It is surrounded on all sides by AONB. It is next to the river Misbourne, the South Bucks Way and many other public footpaths.

It will be 12m(40ft) high on a mound that is already 8m above normal ground level. It will be 59m x 34m(roughly 200ft x100ft). It will be visible from a huge area. There will be bulk loader lorries delivering to and from it all day.

It will hold rubbish from much of Bucks and from councils outside Bucks.

The area truly is outstandingly beautiful. This monstrosity will ruin it.

Even HS2 planned to tunnel under this area because it is too beautiful to destroy.

Another site was available outside AONB on existing landfill near the M40 which other contractors recommended. However, the Tory council chose the cheapest option of building in AONB.

Outrageously, the council have award the contract to WRG, who have offered no alternative sites. It seems that the council think they can just rubber stamp the planning application to force it through

SAVE OUR COUNTRYSIDE!

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RamblerRambler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • pgmarshallpgmarshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry to hear about this but as Nick O says there are literally hundreds of small disparate groups fighting their local battles against beligerant councillors.

We need to use power of 38degrees to unite behind a common goal of blocking ALL incinerators in the UK. The US have not built one for 20 years although you will find Coventa (US) building them over here!

It is complete madness to burn waste ... you just turn it in to toxic fly ash and gas emissions ... I don't like landfill as much as the next person but burning it is not the answer either ... if councils simply dried the rubbish first they would normally save more than they "claim" by using incinerators. Once the fly ash tax loop hole is closed all incinerators will be financially flawed but it is YOU the tax payer who is on the hook for the fines.

Make sure you also vote on the general campaign here.

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1592755-support-for-uk-communities-fighting-against-waste-?ref=title

• Nick ONick O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rambler,

Is there a local campaign group on this issue you could provide a link to ? I`m sure a lot of us would be very interested.

On the wider issue, there are so many anti-incinerator groups around the country it`s hard to keep track - Chesterfield Against Incineration, Amber Valley Against Incinerators, Breathe Clean Air Group (Manchester), North Yorks Waste Action Group and others, the list goes on ( the King`s Lynn group that are active in these pages can also be found at www.klwin.com ).

I`m glad to see these groups reaching out to each other and forging links. There are four in Derbyshire, and these have had some success, which is good to see.

It would be interesting to know if there`s much consensus about alternatives. I for one would not want to see our waste simply dumped on the so-called third world, which I suspect will be the next move on the politician`s list. More recycling and re-using would go a long way, but I wonder if landfill is really such a bad option, all things considered ?

• Vicky ScottVicky Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't make sense to spoil this lovely area when there is a suitable alternative site already used for landfill and already set up for the type of traffic this use will generate.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The entire country will soon be blighted with these incinerators. We must join together and stop any more being built before it is too late. Please join our campaign in King's Lynn. We are currently in 2nd place. We must try to get to the top and then hopefully we will raise the profile of what is going on with these incinerators and the rest of the country will realise that these things are the next deadly killers.

• RamblerRambler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waste transfer station is PR speak for a giant dumping site. All the rubbish to be burnt will first be driven to one of two sites in Bucks. Those sites are called Waste Transfer Stations. They are enormous sheds into which rubbish lorries dump the rubbish. Then special large size bulk transfer lorries collect that rubbish and drive it to the incinerator. I fear that eventually someone will decide to build an incinerator beside the transfer station instead of driving it to the existing incinerator.

• Angela ReeveAngela Reeve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was wondering what a waste transfer station actually is? Is this more PR speak for another incinerator?
        There are two other campaigns on the 38 degrees site about incinerators. If we all work together maybe we could stop these monstrosities being built across the UK. The King's Lynn campaign is currently 2nd! Please show your suuport & perhaps we can get to 1st & highlight this UK wide problem. These campaigns are also about democracy as these incinerators are being pushed onto people against their wishes. This is demonstrated in King's Lynn where the County council awarded the contract for an incinerator despite a poll the week before when 65,000 voted NO (more than 92% of the vote)!

• RamblerRambler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is between Chalfont St Giles and Old Amersham. Overlooked by Little Chalfont.

Feedback and Knowledge Base