I suggest a campaign about ...

A Written Constitution

Written Constitution

A written constitution with an elected second chamber particularly is the best arguable form of government (seriously, try it). The USA, widely regarded as the World’s most advanced democracy and it runs this form of government mandate.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark SempleMark Semple shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See Tim Berners-Lee in 'The Snowden Files' supplement of The Guardian published on 2 nov 13, final para 'Maybe it's time for Brits to decide that being constitutionless has lasted long enough. That it's time to put down some basic rights. We've seen our rights being violated, so let's write down what they are. Let's include the rights of the internet, let's include the independence of the fourth estate which is parallel but different. And let's include something that Britain can learn from America - the right to freedom of speech'.

• Mark SempleMark Semple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do actually have a constitution, but it is absolutely all over the place, it contains the 1622 Bill of Rights, a 1919 act and a 1948 (ish) act plus 'some parts of earlier articles' - that is earlier than 1622, unidentifiable and in bits back to the Magna Carta. It;s not easily understood and needs sorting out.

What is more important than this however is the fact that we do not have an elected second chamber and the Queen owns a large amount of personal wealth in the form of land. If it would be possible to eradicate this problem without dismantling the welfare state as a popular political individualist and possibly objectionist (liberal economic) reaction then I would certainly be behind it.

Please see
        http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1602851-an-elected-second-chamber?ref=title and others for a campaign for a second chamber

and http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1602857-the-great-property-swindle-uk-land-registry?ref=comments for some really good points on the state of Britain's land registry and the amount of money tied up in a plutocractically dogged system that could save us some off the pain of cuts

Feedback and Knowledge Base