I suggest a campaign about ...

Banning nuclear power production in the UK

In the light of Japan’s nuclear emergency, I think that sends out a very clear message to the rest of the world that nuclear power is not safe, either for the environment (including the Earth as a whole) or people’s heath, due to possible radiation poisoning that has long term health implications for several future generations. Seeing as the UK and Europe are trying to make nuclear power 1 of the major forms of energy production, I think we should act now to stop it before the potentially catastrophic results actually happen. I think the UK government needs to fully understand the dangerous implications of what could happen if a similar situation was ever to happen to the UK and Europe (in fact, from Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and Sellafield’s disasters, I think we’ve got enough evidence already!). It’s about time the world woke up and realised that we’re more vulnerable than we think to the forces of nature, and messing around with them, like creating nuclear reactors etc has serious and long-term implications, and shouldn’t be used to propagate an already serious energy crisis! The world needs to get sustainable, and fast, before we create total irreparable damage.

A couple of links about this are:

Japan fears second reactor blast http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12723092
Possibility of new nuclear power plants in Lake District sparks eco concerns http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/apr/15/nuclear-power

I hope that you'll agree with the points, and that by your support, 38 degrees you will be able to launch a campaign for this on the scale of what they did with the ‘Save our forests’ campaign.

Thanks,

Katherine Parker
Leeds, UK

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Katherine ParkerKatherine Parker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ed BrownEd Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In some ways, I highly disagree - The problem is that "New Nuclear" energy refers to the, as you stated very dangerous and expensive ( as well as inefficient ,) use of Uranium based plants.
        Instead they should consider scrapping Uranium and opting for the very possible "Thorium based" nuclear plants. Wind based power is a pipe dream, it is very inefficient, expensive and unrealistic.
        Solar power too is inefficient, expensive and what most people dont realise is that it also produces harmful waste. The main component used to produce solar panels is a HEAVY METAL - these do not degrade and are very difficult to store safely.

Thorium is very abundant in the earths crust, it could power the entire earth with the amount that covers an average football pitch. It is proven to be very stable and a meltdown such as Chernobyl and Fukushima are almost impossible. It does not need water to cool it down and so does not produce water based nuclear waste, in fact the amount of waste it does produce is very minimal and much safer than the waste already produced by OIL and COAL. Furthermore any waste produced by thorium cannot be turned into nuclear weaponry unlike its uranium counterpart.

All in all Thorium is the best form of energy I have I have seen or heard of to solve our energy and world climate problems.

Here is a video for further information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vzotsvvkw

• taran tylataran tyla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I really want to see is an end to reliance on nuclear fuel & also for the government to look at ways to get people to use less energy (by enforcement if need be) & also put pressure on electrical manufacturers to remove standby lights from there products...
        We need to look at decommissioning nuclear power stations & stop looking at reinvestment in nuclear power as they are doing at Wyllfa on Anglesey...

Feedback and Knowledge Base