I suggest a campaign about ...

Support for UK communities fighting against Waste Incineration. We want alternatives to manage waste

Many communities across the UK are fighting their local councils about decisions to build waste incinerators in towns, near homes, on farm land and in areas of natural beauty and interest. There are many more planned for the UK. The USA has not commissioned an Incinerator since the mid 1990's however they are still being built in the UK by American companies. There are better, greener and healthier alternatives to waste management. Typically councils are locked into 25 year contracts and agree to provide the privately owned incinerator companies with a certain quota of waste or else face hefty fines. This undermines recycling and is bad news for the whole of the UK as in areas with incinerators rubbish set aside for recycling is diverted to these incinerators. Please support this campaign.

510 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    greensleevesgreensleeves shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

171 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kenneth H RickerdKenneth H Rickerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our group of which I am chair is the Cornwall Waste Forum St.Dennis Branch is to promote, sustainability in waste management by the movement away from outdated waste disposal technologies such as incineration, and modern and sustainable technologies which are human and environmentally friendly which drive processes up the waste hierarchy.

• Tim ThomsonTim Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incinerators produce greenhouse gas from every piece of waste burnt - which is even worse than landfill.

• PETER TPETER T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do not need any more incinerators in whatever guise they come ,Energy from waste is just another name for an incinerator, do not be taken in that they are an environmental alternative. They BURN things which then cannot be recycled. They are costly for the local taxpayer, and for the environment. The Allerton Park incinerator is not required, NYCC has a reducing requirement for waste disposal and there are enough incinerators in the Yorkshire and Teesside areas to take all NYCC needs. MBT sites will satisfy the waste requirements for the County ,saving all the trucks that will come from all over the county to Allerton. Tell NYCC that we want modern up to date waste disposal not last century technology.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The planned incinerator at Allerton Park is being justified on the grounds that it is needed to take the growing volume of North Yorkshire residential waste - but this ignores the growth in recycling (which has huge potential) and the fact that other incinerators already exist with spare capacity. It simply cannot be justified - a huge cost now and for the next 25 years, a blight on the beautiful local countryside, and a potential health risk. On cost grounds alone, I am amazed that the project is still being seriously pursued at a time of national austerity.

• Steve WrightSteve Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to work together to stop this incinerator madness. They are outdated, unnecessary and uneconomic.

• Peter NevillePeter Neville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We must stop the ludicrous plans for an incinerator at Plymouth and processing of bottom ash some 20 miles away in a small town within Dartmoor National Park.
        Recycling is the answer with an emphasis on manufacturers and packaging obligations.
        Councillors, there are funds available for recycling that would help it pay off and what about consulting with your electorate? Will your conscience allow you to poison your constituents?

• Nick ONick O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In answer to Christine Hall`s post, I would think a possibility would be for some sort of campaign run jointly by a number of groups, so that a greater number of people are involved in one action. Maybe a petition or letter/e-mail to the relevant minister ? Maybe you could use an exisiting network like UKWIN to pool ideas ?

I don`t really claim to any great wisdom - very little in fact ! - maybe others can improve on my suggestions ?

• Christine HallChristine Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea to join forces with other counties who are fighting against incineration, but how do we get the Government to take notice when they don't even reply to letters and e-mails. They are totally blinkered and only see ££££££££££ signs. There is so much evidence out there that proves they are bad for our health and the environment and one question I always ask is "Why do they need such high chimneys if the emissions are harmless?"

• pgmarshallpgmarshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

North Yorkshire have an incinerator planned at Allerton Park. Outdated design, poor technology, expensive to the tax payer, damaging to the environment, council not listeneing to the community. This is such a short sighted over-engineered solution to a problem that is easy to solve.

Take a look at http://www.nywag.org to find our more information.

• Nick ONick O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I`ve posted links to a couple of articles on anti-incinerator campaigns in Amber Valley & Spondon and Sinfin (the latter is headed for court I understand) at http://angpav.blogspot.com . I think I headed it Miscellaneous Updates and Regional Round UP or something similar.

Hope that`s of interest.

• gullugullu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No means no, no matter how much spin we dont want to pollute the air with health hazards anywhere in theuk or the world.

• stephen gutteridgestephen gutteridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every one on here, is on here because they don't want a incinerator built near them, for what ever reason, normally health, but I think the real problem is, with theses devises is we humans are destroying the earths valuable Resources, if we look at nature ,this just dose not happen,and everything is in a cycle, which as been happening for millions of years, it may
        be we need to look at her for inspiration, and not trash everything around us that we touch, because if we do, we are not going to be here much longer and theses monsters are very effective at pushing us even faster to this obliteration of the earths finite resources," we think we are the most intelligent species but it could be ,we are the most foolish"  

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.'
        Cree Indian

• TCTC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently fighting a planned incinerator in West Norfolk. A referendum was held locally, which overwhelmingly rejected this proposal, only for the county council to reject this result, and is still pushing the planning through. Once it is built it will not go away. Please keep up the pressure to stop these being built

• Geraldine LaneGeraldine Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are much better ways to deal with our waste. We must pull together to improve recycling and re-use and stop the building of these polluting monsters which will surely lead to the UK becoming the dustbin of Europe if not the world, as other countries realise that incineration is not the way to handle the world's finite resources!

• Chris NethercliftChris Netherclift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Norfolk, Surrey, Scotland, Nottinghamshire, Cornwall and many many more are being pushed through planning, the UK will become the incineration capital of Europe. What will this do for our childrens futures? will the dioxins present a similar future risk that was seen with asbestos? The latter question is one that no one is prepared to answer or investigate prior to giving the go ahead for planning of these industrial units.
        www.satep.co.uk

• DereK ElliottDereK Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

65.0000, 92.68% of the people of West Norfolk voted against the proposed Incinerator in the West Norfolk Borough Council Referendum The Norfolk County Council and the Goverment are in favour on it including Eric Pickles (BIG SOCIETY)?? Local Peoples Views Count?.Eric Pickle deputy Andrew Stunell stated, It fits in with the Coalitons policies

Feedback and Knowledge Base