I suggest a campaign about ...

Stopping Westminster Council banning rough sleeping and the distribution of free food in Victoria

Westminster Council are planning to bring in a byelaw which will mean anyone 'lying or sleeping' on the floor, 'depositing... bedding' or giving out food for free in the Victoria area will be fined. The consultation period will last until the 25th of March. See http://www.housingjustice.org.uk/site/publications/hj/Press%20releases/Press%20release%2025%2002.pdf We can stop them bringing this in with enough pressure!

740 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ellie SchlingEllie Schling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

157 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Diane Diane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Westminster Council at it again. In the mid ninties Westminster Council sold of 3 semi independant hostels - in the one in Pimlico 31 men found themselves with out a place to live or sufficient support. Also in the ninties Westminster where hiding their homeless families outside the borough! Westminster Council meets in secret, will not publish minutes is in fact a very closed council - so I can not say I am suprised at their actions now. people should not be fed on the street, I agree - they should not be in a position to have to be fed on the street, but until we find away around the homeless problem, then I feel we should feed people as and when and where needed, maybe we could be rid of the pompous idiots who come up with these ideas.

• Ian Daniel Ian Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What despicable treatment towards the citizens of London. Make it easier to identify and correct the issue which put people on the streets in the first place. Not more difficult for them to stay on the streets!

• Lara RowlandLara Rowland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To ban rough sleeping is not the Issue but tackling the root causes of the issues that lead people to sleep rough is the main issue, that needs to be dealt with.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just another cosmetic exercise by the elected privileged of our society being masked by welfare concerns for the homeless. If Westminster City Council really cared they would offer an attractive alternative to rough sleeping rather than the hostels that can be more likened to Bedlam.

• Helen SmithHelen Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought this was a bad joke when I first heard it. I cannot believe a 21st century governing body can so little understand the need in its own community. I also cannot believe that they feel they can tell me how and to whom I can give charity. I cannot object strongly enough to this proposed bylaw.

• Dale EveryDale Every commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the richest borough in the UK, should the council not be in more of a position to join forces with justice and humanity than anyone else?

• SoupermanSouperman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Westminster suck! If their hostels and shelters are so great why would anyone sleep on the street?

• David VannenDavid Vannen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely sickening that Daniel Astaire, cabinet member for society, families and adult services, believes that it's "wrong and undignified that people are being fed on the streets." Perhaps he could try sleeping rough in London and see whether feeding the homeless to stop them from starving "encourages" them to remain homeless. The real reason for this proposal is that he and his type would love to see Westminster cleansed of any undesirables. "Cleansed" is not too loaded a word in this instance, I think.

• Therese RobertsonTherese Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example of the most vulnerable in our society coming under attack from this Government. It truly makes me despair.... Praying this never passes!

• stephen backesstephen backes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possibly all religions state that you should give alms to the poor and Westminster have decided to make it illegal

• Peter YatesPeter Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do they have to attack the most disadvantaged and poorest in society? Surely not the action of civilised society!

• Peter YatesPeter Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do they have to attack the most disadvantaged and poorest in society? Surely not the action of civilised society!

• addictionpsychaddictionpsych commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider the human rights issues, look at the bigger picture where withdrawal of support with penalties only creates a bigger problem. What is wrong with compassion and practical support; when we provide support to overseas agencies would you think your approach in Westminster would be ethical and translate well? NO!

• Mr DarkcraftMr Darkcraft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in one of the main hostels for homelessness in Westminster.
        This is typical government nonsense proposed by people that are so far removed from the realities of street life that they view it as almost a personal irritation.
        £500 fine for sleeping rough. How can they enforce it? The courts and prison systems will be over run with cases of unpaid fines. I should think the volume of cases will be monumental. Good luck with that!

Feedback and Knowledge Base