I suggest a campaign about ...

Can we eat what we choose?

Our right to eat what we choose without trading standards getting involved and banning certain foods

1,501 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    domdom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

515 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alastair McGowanAlastair McGowan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The devil in the detail here as many others have noted, is that we do not have enough information (or education) to know what we are choosing. I like the idea of using raw milk but am beginning to realise that the ban on its sale may be for the best, the health costs could be higher than any benefits my family might gain. But this has taken me a couple of years to work out. Sometimes it is better to leave it to experts to make these decisions. On the other hand expertise seems possibly to have been corrupted by commerce. What I believe is needed is for parliament to beat the lobbyists out of the way and get some empirically based policy worked out. then we could trust regulations as being in our favour and not biased towards consumption and be damned.

• Joan MillerJoan Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

don't forget the corporations who make massive profit from salt sugar and fats. You are not free to choose they tell you what to eat and we mostly eat what they suggest. Then we blame the government for being big brother because the corporate press tells us that too and we believe them mostly. if that was not enough they have created false institutions that falsely question the science that says the the salt, sugar and fat are harming us. Who is really the big brother??????

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The government (i.e. corporations) want us eating junk food instead of growing our own healthy food. The pharmaceutical industry likes to sustain, not cure illness so we're hooked on the chemicals they make. Healthy alternatives are always best - just look at the number of deaths each year due to the side effects of prescription drugs.
        In the USA they are arresting people selling organic food whilst passing laws to allow GMO foods to get to the shelves with no labeling to say they are actually GMO and no proper testing to ascertain the side effects. Well, organic farmers don't give the campaign kickbacks of the big agra/pharma boys do they.... They're not on the pharma/agra-Washington carousel either so don't get to write the laws then land a high paying position on the board of the companies which benefit from those laws.
        It has never been more obvious than today that governments are there to serve the interests of the corporations at the expense of the people. From illegal wars to carbon taxes to banker bailouts to anti-health laws to an education system which indoctrinates instead of educates.

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that WE should choose what we eat and not the govt or dogood types

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

because we need to have a healthy and balanced diet PLAIN AND SIMPLE END OF

• HelenHelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If more research was conducted in the fields of good quality nutritional food, instead of producing and marketing drugs and schemes to improve conditions that are caused by poor quality nutritionally empty, or dead foods, a LOT of the worlds' problems (and of course by world I mean humans, the Earth itself doesn't have any) would begin to solve themselves.
        With well -intentioned ideas and behavior towards such a crucial aspect of our lives as making the right choices about what we subject our bodies too, problems in other parts of our collective lives would soon dissipate, our attitudes towards the environment, to our fellow terrestrial inhabitants, political disputes... I mean, we don't need shitty governments to baby us, we just need to learn to take care of ourselves and each other, at a grass-roots level (and I don't mean taking care of ourselves financially, there shouldn't BE any such useless concept as a 'financially')...
        I guess what I mean is I don't want us all to get Cancer from Aspartame when we think we're being good and low-sugar, and I don't want us all to die from Type 2 Diabetes for being fat when avoiding Aspartame and tucking into some good ol' Insulin-enraging sugar....

But I do want us to have some sweetness in life, because, well, it's kinda crap.

People, let's get ourselves some organic green stevia powder dammit!

• Rosalyn HamblettRosalyn Hamblett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to get white Stevia allowed in this country too! Not just mesquite. you can buy white granulated/powdered stevia over the counter in Oz and the US. So what's different with the UK I wonder.

We need to get white Stevia allowed in this country too! Not just mesquite. you can buy white granulated/powdered stevia over the counter in Oz and the US. So what's different with the UK I wonder.

• Annelie RouxAnnelie Roux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The politicians who want to decide what we may or may not eat are often ignorant about nutrition and are advised by people who have their own commercial interests at heart, not your health or mine.

• Paula SPaula S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The latest proposal is a tax on foods with a high fat content. I haven't heard much about it recently, so maybe it has gone away for some (political) reason or another. I do hope so! Just because food has a high fat content really doesn't automatically make it unhealthy. Sugar is far more harmful, but I'm not in favour of taxing that either.
        One of the problems with reducing fat (and sugar) in food is that it is often replaced by other products which in turn could be even more harmful.
        Part of the problem is the mis-information we have all been subjected to. Another part is the economic pressure that the producers of good, healthy food are subjected to.
        To make a difference, we all need to make good choices in what we buy and what we consume - otherwise, in time, there won't be a choice. There will be no good quality food for anyone - it will all be mass-produced, at the cheapest price (and the highest profits).

• HelenHelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh.... the Government really wants to protect me don't they from making bad food choices which will likely give me heart disease, diabetes and cancer? I don' t think so.........

• stevesteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let the public decide not the nanny state, we have long since been brain washed into believing the state knows best,well if this the case how come they do not tax junk foods more heavily to discourage eating them.
        but more often than not junk food is cheaper then healthy food encouraging the over reliance on junk foods for meals by hard pressed family's

• stevesteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as we have spiralling prices and a working population struggling with the costs of every day essentials, why should any multinational supermarket chain have the right to force any edible food out of the market place.
        These people have too much power over prices and product that are offered to the public with only there own interest at heart not the grower/manufacture or the general public.
        The choice should the public's and the public's alone without interference from government body's or multinational chains

• Sam BradwellSam Bradwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us be the judge of what we eat. We are missing out on such a wealth of potentially beneficial foods because of cumbersome bureaucracy.

• jankitejankite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop supermarkets forcing farmers to plough perfectly edible but mis-shapen and undersized products back into the ground, and let US choose what we want.

• Jane JoyfulJane Joyful commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our children and grandchildren will look back in horror at this period in history. It's ridiculous and outrageous that those entrusted to govern this country are allowing these curtailments of freedom to occur. I am visualising a future where we are all free to eat healthful food.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26

Feedback and Knowledge Base