I suggest a campaign about ...

A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society.

DLA is by the DWP's own admission at least 20% under claimed and maybe as much as 40%. It is subject to a misinformation campaign by the Condems and their allies in the gutter press. Its abolition and replacement is nothing but a cost cutting exercise by the Condems and will cause huge suffering to disabled people and their carers. The abolition for DLA for those in care homes is positively cruel and should be opposed by everyone with a social conscience.

6,338 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mikeob2mikeob2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton shared a merged idea: A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society..  ·   · 

653 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alison TomlinAlison Tomlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Responding to Anom, May 21: I get DLA. I have MS and can do around 100m, with sticks, without a rest, but then (literally) collapse to the floor or ground. My own complaint about the disappearance of DLA is that, as I understand it, if I can walk 20m at my assessment (due in 2015) I won't be deemed to have serious mobility disability; losing the mobility component will mean I can't have an adapted car. My mobility element goes directly to Motability for car rental; the loss of this source of funding puts Motability at risk too. I'm sorry you have met people who 'try to claim' this benefit. On the other hand, the word 'try' suggests skivers and dodgers don't succeed. Meanwhile I do as much voluntary work as I can manage, and that depends on having transport. I do get irritated by comments about skiving, however much you try to soften it by reference to others' illness; government's own figures on the new PIP claimants' appeals suggest the assessments are more often at fault than the claims.
        I support others' comments about the link to legal aid cuts - it will be very difficult for individuals to challenge assessments unless they are wealthy.

• AlfieAlfie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is your protest still a happening thing? May 21 was a while ago, or is this site just a place to have a moan!

• anomanom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I previously worked as a welfare benefits advisor for 5 years. From experience most people who try to claim this benefit do not meet the qualifying conditions. There seems to be a common misunderstanding about the criteria- regarding to care and mobility needs. The majority of people who claim that they are 'virtually unable to walk' is quite outstanding- and then months later they are surprised when they have been caught out wandering to the shops and back with heavy bags. of course the 'good day' card is played. I'm not against DLA when it is needed. My own dad died from cancer and was given a month to live from the point of diagnosis. I was 20 at the time and a full time student- so had no income. My younger sister was 16 so in full time education and my mum had the mortgage to pay. The difference is he was bedridden and we needed a carer to help. I would also stress that my dad had worked full time from the age of 16 so had made 40 years of contributions- as had my mother.

In my opinion- there are too many people who want money for nothing.

• cliffordclifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have been banging this drum for 2 years now what is it i have been honest and angry for all this time with no backing if you are genuinely prepared to make a stand with honesty and conviction then contact me clifford.mp@outlook.com i have put my face on television and will continue to do so stop moaning and stand up as i am you will get nothing from 38degrees other than allowing me to make this statement on this page they are only interested in e mailing us to back them in there egotisical platform and i am quite sure they will keep quiet on my statement as they always do i am a real person with no agenda other than to stand up for what is right regardless of outcome put your money where your mouth is team people powered has been lost within team ego's go on tell me i am wrong

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally aggree with all that has been said before about this abolition of Dla and we should all stand up and be counted and oppose this unfair change.

just by the fact they are going to change the law so you won't get legal aid to fight benefit decisions says it all and even when the law says they are wrong (unpaid work ) they just carry on and this shows you we are under a dictatorship whose arrogance will not let them admit they are wrong the bottom line is democracy to them means nothing and they revel in attacking the weak

• Babak KamaliBabak Kamali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a scandal and I can think of several points which makes this kind of practices by the government illegal.
        I think some one should take the Government to court. Why don't we use the law to fight the government?
        The whole underlying motive of reassessing the Disability Needs is illegal. The Government is being allowed to use the excuse of not having money to break the law.

• Ian CarruthersIan Carruthers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A side issue, but I applied for DLA and was told I was entitled on the 16th October. Not received a penny yet and when you phone them they won't give you any details. The Department of Work and pensions is a waste of space and very uncaring.

its called picking on the weak whatever they do doe's not alter there lifestyle i notice you are never told what cuts the goverment are making on themselves thats because there isn't any for them
        POVERTY IS THE WORST KIND OF VIOLENCE
        mahatma ghandi and our goverment is doing this to us

• Mrs ParkinsonMrs Parkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm absolutely disgusted with what the government trying to abolish the D.L.A. As a mother of a 37 daughter who has moved into her own home 2years ago who attends a day centre and relies on carers to aid her independence and relies totally on her benefits. If benefits were to be cut it would cause so much hardship for my daughter and for us to enable her to continue living independently [as advocated by the government independent living].Mrs Parkinson

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This site is no good. Spartacus are trying hard to overturn the government decision to hammer disability benefits. would urge people to try them.

Clearly the current situation is awful. We are govern by a bunch of hooray henry's intent on dismantling the welfare state and selling parts of it off to their rich friends. How dare they, they didn't even win the last election but assumed power. We have become a hardly distinguishable froma banana state.

unfortunately linda my wife and i have endured worse treatment from the very system we have paid our taxes and ni into my injuries are work related which have left me disabled and wife still works there is no help or respect for the fact you have worked they seem to target injured workers more in the hope they can drive you back to work not just that its anything to hit the working classes old sick injured and disabled its called picking on the weak they can't control the rich because they have money so they threaten the poor do as we say or we will stop your money

So many including my disabled husband will be plunged into poverty by the loss of DLA and we will stand to lose our home as well. My husband has been assessed as able to work (he is crippled with pain and on morphine as well as other painkillers) he does not sleep except when totally exhausted with pain.
        He served 17yrs with the RAF and did other jobs after leaving finally collapsing in his last job because of unbearable pain and was told not to return because of his condition and the drugs he was on.
        This caring, responsible (he did bomb disposal), honest and hardworking man has been branded a 'scrounger' by this Government and is treated like less than human along with many others.
        I too hear the deafening silence from other parties - I hold them all responsible for the demise and death of those affected by these changes. The press have gone along with it distorting and reporting on figures given out .
        They have blood on their hands.

Unfortunately, not many good people of Britain will feel they can openly express their true feelings for the plight of the less fotunate in our society under the present regime. The active political and media campaign to vilify those that are most unfortunate, sick, vulnarable and least able to defend themselves in Britain, bears stark similarities to those that Adolph Hitler used against the Jews to de-humanise them before the Holacaust. The good people of this country need to wake up and take a very hard look at where the road we are being led down is going before we go any further!! A so called civilised nation will be judged on how it treats the most vulnarable! Unfortunately, the silence from the other political parties on the subject is quite deafening!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33

Feedback and Knowledge Base