I suggest a campaign about ...

'New nuclear' energy: the great green rip-off

The government has told us that we need more nuclear power stations to combat climate change. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Nuclear power is incredibly expensive and incredibly dangerous. The New Economics Foundation estimates that to pay for building new reactors and processing their waste, nuclear power providers could increase our electricity bills by almost three times the industry estimate. So that's a hike from £45 a quarter to around £100.

Opting for ten new nuclear power plants is a quick fix solution that will leave us with a terrible legacy of cancer-causing radioactive waste that nobody knows what to do with.

If nuclear power is allowed to get a grip on the energy sector now it could kill off any hope of a viable, affordable market in truly renewable forms of energy.

Reports by Greenpeace, the New Economics Foundation, the Sustainable Development Commission, the Centre for Alternative Technology and many other respected organisations have outlined strategies for future energy provision that does not include nuclear power.

WE HAVE TO STOP THIS NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

We want a future, not a disaster.

1,593 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nancy BirchNancy Birch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

394 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JudeJude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They keep telling that nuclear energy is cheap. did anyone see the "Bang Goes the Theory" program on Monday? At Dounreay former nuclear reprocessing plant, a continuous, 24 hour a day search goes on, on the beaches for tens of thousands radioactive particles released in a previous accident. How much is that operation costing I wonder?
        It's thought that the beaches will never be cleared of radioactivity.
        "Nuclear power is neither safe, clean, cheap nor low-carbon and it continues to cause problems and cost the taxpayer a hidden and open-ended fortune. Let's learn from our past mistakes and consign it to a lead-lined dustbin." friends of the earth...

• Carl HolmesCarl Holmes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i wonder wheather 38 degrees will run a campaign on this subject ,obviously their are other important campaigns in the running that have to be fought first though

wait and see

• Tony KingTony King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The German people have led the way! Seimens (a MASSIVE German company) have now completely disowned Nuclear Power at great cost due to PUBLIC OPINION! We need to act NOW!

• zotriczotric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On economic grounds alone it makes no sense for the reasons given. One Fukushima scale event could ruin our whole UK economy. Japan, with a larger economy and population, will struggle to recover from Fukushima. I'm sure they will succeed but we should learn before it happens to us. No tsunamis here? Not the case. Accidents will happen and the nuclear industry is not going to be an exception. We should invest in Thorium cycle reactors as are India and the China. Plus, obvously, renewables.
        I also think that uranium-based nuclear power is a lazy option that does not stimulate innovation. We have Thorium, fusion and doubtless other options to explore. Let's be more creative and build a safer and more interesting future.
        Spot on about the Fukushima blackout (another poster).

• Cherith AdamsCherith Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nuclear power makes no sense morally or economically. It's only happening because of vested interests

• Cherith AdamsCherith Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nuclear power makes no sense morally or economically. It's only happening because of vested interests

• michaelruxtonmichaelruxton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this is what a green revolution looks like , new nuclear and a dash for shale gas ,pathetic .
        I take it that 'call me Dave' has parked the push bike up now he has his seat at the top table .

• NozwellNozwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply not necessary. Stop the government putting the absolute last resort as the first choice.

• Liz WoodLiz Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that we should not build any new nuclear power stations and should aim to shut down those already built as soon as possible. We do not have satisfactory ways of disposing of the waste. Nuclear power stations are very expensive to build and run - we are never given the true costs. There is always the danger of mechanical failure, human error, sabotage or unforeseeable natural disaster that could put the power station at risk. I have heard that plutonium regularly goes missing from nuclear power stations. Uranium is expensive to buy, and irs miners work in unacceptable conditions. We should have been investing in alternative means of energy generation for decades, and should start now seriously to invest and research all alternatives and all possible means of reducing energy consumption.

• Victoria PearsonVictoria Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The UK is rushing headlong into building more Nuclear power stations, despite having no safe or effective solutions for storage and management of the nuclear waste....Short-sighted madness!

Feedback and Knowledge Base