I suggest a campaign about ...

wild animals in circuses

Last year, a public consultation found that 94.5% of those who responded supported a ban on wild animal acts in circuses.

Labour announced last year that they were planning to introduce a ban if re-elected.

The long-standing Lib Dem policy is to ban the use of all animals, except horses and dogs, in circuses.

The Government announced that it would make an announcement in Autumn, then Winter, then before Christmas, then in the New Year... now "soon".

This delayed response means that another season of animal circuses is about to start. Over the next month, wild animal circuses will be back on the road, including an elephants, tigers, camels and zebras.

Let's make sure this is the last wild animal circus tour!

650 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FionaFiona shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

82 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nikelbynikelby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so so glad that more and more people are getting on this bandwagon!! i've never been to a circus because my Mother boycotted them and I was raised knowing what horrible treatment these animals have to endure, I, therefore, brought my kids the same way, and I'm proud to say that my grand children are learning to appreciate what we are trying to for them.

• DonaDona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the allegedly most evolved species??? ...it is way past due for humanity to end the exploitation of all animals!

• DonaDona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the allegedly most evolved species??? ...it is way past due for humanity to end the exploitation of all animals!

• EmilyEmily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I remember Monkey World rescuing a baby chimpanzee from a circus because one of the people who ran it repeatedly beat her. Fortunatley, the owner got prosecuted for animal cruelty but nothing seems to have been done since then to ban the use of animals in circuses and what happened to this chimp should have been the case for banning it. As other people have said, it's not just wild animals that should be banned from being used in circuses, but all.

• mongibellomongibello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a disgrace that animals are used in circuses in this supposedly enlightened age. Even Bolivia has banned them. WHAT are we waiting for?

• NikNik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No animal should be beaten and suppressed to a state where they 'perform' for human entertainment, not just wild animals!
        Ban all animals in circuses, it isn't a natural enviroment for any of them.
        Your hour of entertainment is their lifetime of misery.

• GrahamGraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This must stop. We live in a society that now KNOWS BETTER. What we dont see in the circus ring is the cruelty involved in training these poor animals to 'perform' for our pleasure. Try looking on You Tube if in doubt.

• carmencarmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

animals do not in circuses belong
        the belong in their natural habitats
        running free and strong
        and those who were raised captive
        need to be free
        living in comfort
        in animal sanctuaries

• karen lyons kalmensonkaren lyons kalmenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

animals do not in circuses belong
        the belong in their natural habitats
        running free and strong
        and those who were raised captive
        need to be free
        living in comfort
        in animal sanctuaries

• sopfiasopfia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

animals are not for entertainment - they belong in their nature. speak for the voiceless!

• sopfiasopfia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

animals are not for entertainment - they belong in their nature. speak for the voiceless!

• Brenda TowersBrenda Towers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Circuses are an outdated form of entertainment and are harmful to the welfare and health of the animals.

• bumcheeks007bumcheeks007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Circus animals are enslaved, imprisoned, mistreated, often beaten, hot-shocked, prodded, poked and burned to force them to perform for so-called human "entertainment." Ban them!

• Tracy HyamsTracy Hyams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Animals in circuses are antiquated! The likes of Cirque de Soliel have proven this. Why do some still insist on this cruelty as a form of entertainment for man?

• Penny McLaughlinPenny McLaughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how in the 21st century we can still be allowing animals in circuses or why we are. Animals deserve more respect than we are giving them and until we give that to them we as a species can not move forward. I implore you to help move the use of animals in circuses to the history books. Thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base