I suggest a campaign about ...

'The Big Society'

It would seem that 'the Big Society' is nothing other than a neo-liberal's ruse to demolish public service as we know it and replace it with a hotch potch of amateurs not knowing what they are doing. The real intention is to absolve the government of any responsibility. In no tiem at all we should be back to the nineteenth century. Suggest a petition to keep public service public without discouraging local volunteer initiative.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Hugh WindsorHugh Windsor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do sort of agree in the govts idea but not in the way the govt would like it to happen

• Marcia Simpson-JamesMarcia Simpson-James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is Dave 'Bulliingdon Club' Cameron actually talking about in practical terms when he speaks about his Big Society? Is this another one of his "we're all in it together theories". God protect us...in the shadow of darkness...get thee behind me...

• Sian ThomasSian Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My concern about the Big Society is putting public services out to the private or "third sector" will mean loss of accountability. The current public service system may not be as effective as we might hope - but the people can vote councillors onto local authorities and those local authorities have to work in a transparent and accountable manner. Private companies are NOT required to do that..... I vote for a petition to keep public service public without discouraging local volunteer initiatives (which are ongoing ANYWAY!)

• Elaine KirkaldieElaine Kirkaldie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Congratulations and didn't we all do well. Worth every penny.

Now what do we do next? We could be seeing the start of a bloodless revolution. A sea change in politics that doesn't have to rely on a change in the voting system, but on what the masses really think irrespective of worn out party political allegiances, which we probably inherited from our Fathers. Not that I'm saying we always know best. Results based on gut feeling are is not necessarily wise or democratic. A deeper knowledge of the subject matter is always called for. Which brings me on to my latest Bete Noir -
        The BIG Society.

This concept is truly Orwellian and very frightening.

We all, as individuals, whether asked for change in the street, helping a friend down on his luck, donating on line, Whatever. We do it when the mood takes us, when we have a few spare pounds, when moved by World events. etc. It is the ungoverned, unfettered human response to the sight of human dignity under threat that moves us to help people regardless of race or creed.

We don't need any Government intervention in the running of such matters. Groups and Communities all over Britain have been Helping themselves and others since time immemorial. It is a very human response to a very human problem. No forms to fill in, no taxes to pay, no statistics to account for. No names, no addresses for others to pry into and check up on. Yes, I know some people give by direct debit to organisations on a regular basis and can claim for that on their tax forms. I never bother to fill that bit in. It's My Bloody Business how and what I give and to whom, and that includes my FREE TIME.

I see the Big Society as a ruse to check up on the very workings of the British Human Heart.I don't like it and I will not be part of it.

The Government know too much about people already.

Feedback and Knowledge Base